• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Relocate stick shift (AX-15)?

thiswildbronco

Is it possible to relocate the position of my AX-15 stick shifter?

It comes up dead-center through the tunnel, and I'd like to get is closer to my right leg and place the Atlas twin sticks to the right of the shifter. My goal is a configuration identical to what Jonathan Ward sets up in his Icon Broncos. I realize that Icon uses the Art Morrison frame, but my hunch would be that with a tranny coming off a frame-centered motor, the stick shift would be centered as well.

How the hell does Icon do this?

I have a stock (now modded) '76 frame that originally had the C4 (not sure if this matters - I suspect not). The frame is just about the only thing that remains from my original truck.

I've attached pics of both my truck in its current state and of the Icon shifter cluster I'd like to duplicate.

Thanks in advance for all the educational and insightful comments. I learn more every day on this build!!

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_95e1.jpeg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_95e1.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 196
  • Shifter locations2.jpg
    Shifter locations2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 190
OP
OP
thiswildbronco

thiswildbronco

Well, I got my answer straight from the horses mouth! I emailed Jonathan Ward (he and I have had exchanges in the past), and he replied almost immediately with:

"We reshape the trans tunnel, and manipulate the bend in the shifter."

Reshaping the trans tunnel sounds like a s-ton of work!
Sounds like he basically moves the tunnel to the right - Jeez!

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Given the the example that you posted, the transfer case is a passenger drop, you would have quite a bit of work to do to get the transmission shifter closer to the driver with your driver's drop Atlas.......

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
I put a B&M short throw shifter on my AX15. For me, the shifter position is much better with the B&M vs the original AX15 (which was probably shaped for a J**p) and the shorter throw means less reach in 1, 3 and 5th gears.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Use a cable shifter for the Atlas. That should take care of that part.

Jim

OP
OP
thiswildbronco

thiswildbronco

Is the B&M shifter shorter in length compared to the standard AX-15? Or is it same length, just set up for shorter throw between gears?

I put a B&M short throw shifter on my AX15. For me, the shifter position is much better with the B&M vs the original AX15 (which was probably shaped for a J**p) and the shorter throw means less reach in 1, 3 and 5th gears.

OP
OP
thiswildbronco

thiswildbronco

I have the cable shifter from Atlas, but it sounds like if I do want it to the right of the AX-15 shifter, unless I can march the shifter left of center (which doesn't sound like it's an option) then those twin sticks will be a bit far to the right for practical usage.

I'll just have to get in there with my builder and play around I guess.

Use a cable shifter for the Atlas. That should take care of that part.

Jim

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
I had a sort of version with a toploader, if you have a passenger a lot, it’s pretty crowded over there for them. Just another factor. I have the ax-15 now with short throw. It was too short for me so I put an extension on. It’s perfect now but I have a d20 so...?

Attachments

• 1B0495A6-5C2F-49CC-9440-C62A545E9899.jpg
    1B0495A6-5C2F-49CC-9440-C62A545E9899.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 97
  • A85DCBB0-8FB1-4616-876D-073399D4486C.jpg
    A85DCBB0-8FB1-4616-876D-073399D4486C.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 98

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Is the B&M shifter shorter in length compared to the standard AX-15? Or is it same length, just set up for shorter throw between gears?

I’ll have to measure, but I believe it’s shorter. Not so short that you’re reaching down, but for me, just short enough to be in a more natural position.

mjschneidy

Got my shifter and stick from Core-shifter.com

Mine is an NV3350 but I'd expect same results for an AX15. Seems to be in the ideal position, knob comes back and over more than the stock Jeep shifter.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 147

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Most of the aftermarket shifters are made for a jeep. They're too far forward for a Bronco.
I use a B&M shifter on my NV3550 and had to bend the shifter lever back.

What I did was installed the shifter and used a 1/4" thick disc on my angle grinder to cut a groove at the back and toward the driver side about 2/3 the way through the shifter, just below the boot line. Then I sat in the driver's seat and pulled bent the shifter lever back to a comfortable position. Then I disassembled the shifter from the base, and TIG welded the slot shut. A bit of grinding and polishing, and you can't tell it happened.

The B&M shifter has a narrower gate than the original. It makes for a nice short throw, but the narrow gate can take bit of getting used to.

Attachments

• shifters1.jpg
    shifters1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 70