• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Relocating Rear Shocks

Solar Aviator

I'm installing rear disks and have seen several references to relocating the shock mounts. It looks like moving them inboard about an inch will clear the calipers. Is the reasonable or is there a better location or configuration?

Thanks Again, Dave...

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
if you aren't running an e-brake, it also works to put the caliper brackets on the other direction and run them on the front side of the axle.

Mine do clear however without having to move the shock. TSM's instructions stated the easiest way was to get a longer bolt and mount the shock on the inside of the lower mount with a spacer in between the ears to keep it from bending when you tighten it down.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
My solution

Here's how I handled the problem less than 50 bucks worth of material.

Attachments

• RearBottomMount.jpg
    RearBottomMount.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 50
  • rear21.JPG
    rear21.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 55
  • rear22.JPG
    rear22.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 35
  • rear23.JPG
    rear23.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 27
  • rear24.JPG
    rear24.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
S

Solar Aviator

Thanks for the pics

TOFIC said:
Here's how I handled the problem less than 50 bucks worth of material.

I'll try the same. Thanks also for the part info for the rotors. I've cut the origional drum brake plate apart to fabricate the mounting flange and offset for the caliper. I'll post some pics. Dave...

chawkfan

Loc.
Mebane, NC
I beleive James Duff made a kit that relocated the shocks to from the outer portion of the leafs to the inner portion of the leafs and these shocks leaned inwards to give you more articulation. I had a set on my 68 and they worked great.