• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Relocating Tranny Cooler...

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
15 years ago I put my remote tranny cooler under the truck bed, between the frame rails right in front of the gas tank. It has worked flawlessly and kept the tranny cool since it only pulls cooler air there.

Now I'm redoing my exhaust and it's in the way so I'm gonna relocate it. I don't like the engine compartment because I want it to pull cooler air, not hot engine bay air. I don't want to put it under the passenger seat because too much debris can get thrown there by the right front tire, and I don't want to have to build a shield for it. And I don't want to block any of my radiator.

Since I already have the brackets to mount it between the frame rails made, I'm thinking of mounting it between the frame rails directly under the radiator. I've never seen any dings from debris there since it's in front of the wheels and it's tucked up higher than the winch and bumper. And it would get plenty of cooler air there. Also, don't corvettes have their radiators in the same place more or less?

What y'all think?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That's where Stroppe put them on his conversions and covered them with expanded metal. We run one there on the Stroppe-modified racer that we campaign in the NORRA Mexican 1000 races and it's always worked fine - no damage.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
That's where Stroppe put them on his conversions and covered them with expanded metal. We run one there on the Stroppe-modified racer that we campaign in the NORRA Mexican 1000 races and it's always worked fine - no damage.

Todd Z.

Cool, that's where it's gonna go then. Thanks!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I run my tranny cooler there,. I was clueless when I mounted it that Stroppe's had anything mounted there, just seemed like a good place for all the reasons you mentioned.

I have a solid metal plate there (spaced to let air from the cooler fan flow freely around it) since I wheel in "stick" country and have had a 2" diameter tree limb push right thru the floor board after the front tire ran over it and lined it up perfectly for popping a hole right thru the floorboard... crap happens so that's why it's a solid skid plate and not expanded sheet metal like you can run on a dirt road or sand....