• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing column shifter arm

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I am in the process of removing my manual column (with floor shifter) and installing an automatic column.

The automatic shifter arm hits my Astroboost when trying to go into park.
I would like exaggerate the bends in the shifter arm to move the end a little closer to the front of the truck.

How hard is it to remove?
I would like to remove the arm so I can heat it.

Is it likely to break something if I bend it installed in the column?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is a lower bearing close to that arm. I thought there was a plastic bushing real close as well. I would be leary of heating it on the truck.

To get the arm out you need to remove the steering shaft and pull the shift tube into the cab a little. At that point you are almost to a full column rebuild and replace all the little stuff that ages in there.

OP
OP
kaw550

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I have the column out of the truck and I removed the shaft.
I could not figure out how to pull the shift tube. Does it come out through the top or bottom?

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
It comes out the top. You need to take it out to bend it. It is very hard steel and heat would make it much easier. Take out the 3 bolts that hold the top and collar on. It's kinda tricky so pay attention to how it comes apart.