• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

removing front brake drums

taz7nads

Loc.
Iowa Park, TX
i am bringing back a '69 that has set for 15 years, and am reworking the brake system. i have installed new s/s lines, fixing to install new master cylinder, and figured i would install new wheel cylinders and check the shoes while i have it torn apart. problem is, i don't have it quite torn apart yet. i have never had a 4wd, and not sure how to remove the front brake hubs. i did remove the six socket head cap screws and pull the chrome "hub" off, and wiggled the drum a little with no noticeable movement, and thought i would check here for advice before i got in over my head. thanks!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After you remove the selectable hub switch (or lockout..whatever).. You will see the nut assembly that holds the hub and drum assembly on the spindle. You'll need a Dana 30/44 spindle nut wrench to remove and re-install that.

OP
OP
T

taz7nads

Loc.
Iowa Park, TX
okay, thanks. on a related note, any idea where i can get a new metal line that runs from the wheel cylinder to the flexible stainless line? i got mine off, but the flare nut is rounded off and i need to replace it. i checked TBP and JBG, and didn't see one.

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
I bought those lines from jeff's but in plain steel not stainless and they were no where near close to fitting. Had to basically straighten the line out and bend it how I wanted it to fit. Would've been just as well off going to the parts store and getting a 6" piece of line. Just an FYI

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Before you remove the spindle nuts you need to remove two snap rings . One large around the inside diameter of the hub , the 2nd at the end of the stub shaft . Also be a very good idea to either have a manual / diagram that shows the break down of the drum/hub assembly .

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA

okay, thanks. on a related note, any idea where i can get a new metal line that runs from the wheel cylinder to the flexible stainless line? i got mine off, but the flare nut is rounded off and i need to replace it. i checked TBP and JBG, and didn't see one.

I bought those lines from jeff's but in plain steel not stainless and they were no where near close to fitting. Had to basically straighten the line out and bend it how I wanted it to fit. Would've been just as well off going to the parts store and getting a 6" piece of line. Just an FYI

The ones from Jeff are for a Dana 44. The Dana 30 lines are completely different. Since you're working on a '69, you won't be able to use the ones in the Jeff's link if you still have the original front end.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, you can learn to make your own brake lines. I buy a piece of 3/16 brake line longer than needed, than bend it and cut to fit. You will need a tubing cutter and a double flare kit. This is mechanics 101. Good luck

OP
OP
T

taz7nads

Loc.
Iowa Park, TX
ok, thanks. good idea on making my own. i have a tubing cutter and the flare tool, may see if i can find a bender to keep from collapsing it in the bends.

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
Sorry for posting the wrong link, I wasn't thinking about a Dana 30, good catch Justin.

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
For less than the price of the tools to make a line you can get a pre-made straight line from any of the parts stores and bend it yourself. If you don't plan on making a bunch of brake lines that is. I bought 20 feet of line from O'Reilly's and bought new fittings and remade all my brake lines, but if you're not planning on doing that, just pick up the pre-made line.

While you have it all apart you might as well upgrade to disc! All it takes is $$;)

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I bought a plier type tubing bender because I used it at my buddies garage and it is neat. It gets real close, and I get a lot more control. For many years I just rolled it around the axle tube or whatever looked good. The tubing is made to bend by hand without kinking.

OP
OP
T

taz7nads

Loc.
Iowa Park, TX
thanks guys for all of the suggestions. i searched for a diagram, but got several different ones; not sure which is correct. does anyone know if there's one archived here somewhere?

vtboy51

I bought these line from Wild Horses and returned because they didn't come close to fitting, then I tried Jeff's and they didn't fit either. In the end I just reshaped them and they worked fine. Both Vendors spec them for my '68 with the Dana30, but as someone pointed out they must be for the Dana44