• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing hard top for the first time

JoeB458

Loc.
Springfield
Today is the day. 2 questions....

How much does a hard top weigh?
Any lessons learned you can share?

I plan to leave it hanging under ceiling in garage. One man operation. Any tips greatly appreciated.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Not sure on the exact weight but 2 can handle it ok, it is awkward due to the size so a 3rd always makes it a little easier. Biggest thing I can tell you is to pull the tail lights, undo all the bolts on both corners, I think there is 8 each side and drop the stakes down and out of the tail light opening. This will save your paint. If you have 2 towels, You can lift each side and slip a bowl in between the top and bed rail, again this is just to protect paint against the uh-ohs that happen. I find it is easiest with the stake supports removed to simply carry it off to the rear and the towels will let you set it to pause temporarily if need be. Good luck!

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
What I did was back the truck up under where I was going to hang the top. Use two 2x4 with about a foot wider than the top. Lift the back end of the top enough to slide the 2x4 under the back of top by the tailgate leaving 6 inches on each side over hang. Install eye bolts on each side of the 2x4 making sure that you have a joist that will match up in the ceiling. Install 2 eyebolts in the ceiling joist.
For the front part of the top, do the same with the 2x4 but it with the doors open the 2x4 can support the top back toward the rear in the window opening.
I used rope but ratchet straps would work better. Just start raising each corner until you're at the height you want to be at.

Attachments

• top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 152
  • top2.jpg
    top2.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 152
  • top3.jpg
    top3.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 152

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Its heavy. 2 tall people can handle it. short people it really sucks. Do not lift by the tailgate. once you clear the bed rail the sides can spread enough to allow the tailgate to open if someone is lifting there. If that happens you will have a bad day. You have to cut the weather strips at the door jambs where the windshield meets the top and the weather strips where the tailgate meets the top.
Best to rig a lift to an over head support if you can. I use a come along to lift mine when I was replacing it during the seasons. There are bolts right behind the window frame for the door. the bolts and nuts are a real pain to get to especially if you have a later model with the vapor bottle on the drivers side.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
What I did was back the truck up under where I was going to hang the top. Use two 2x4 with about a foot wider than the top. Lift the back end of the top enough to slide the 2x4 under the back of top by the tailgate leaving 6 inches on each side over hang. Install eye bolts on each side of the 2x4 making sure that you have a joist that will match up in the ceiling. Install 2 eyebolts in the ceiling joist.
For the front part of the top, do the same with the 2x4 but it with the doors open the 2x4 can support the top back toward the rear in the window opening.
I used rope but ratchet straps would work better. Just start raising each corner until you're at the height you want to be at.

I do the same, only I use a cheap Harbor Freight winch mounted to the wall, over to a pulley to do the lifting. :)