• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing lower steering shaft

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Who has the secret instructions for removing the lower steering shaft from a '74? I've disconnected all bolts on the rag joint, as well as the bolt on the u-joint that slips over the gearbox splines. The shaft isn't budging. What's the secret? I've ordered a new slip shaft from WH, so I'm about ready to take a cutting wheel or torch after this thing!!

Attachments

• Rag Joint.jpg
    Rag Joint.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Lower Joint.jpg
    Lower Joint.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Complete Lower Shaft.jpg
    Complete Lower Shaft.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 76

Matt@Wildhorses

Sponsor/Vendor
Best bet, if you can't sneak the old shaft out past the rag joint, you can take the column loose from the dash and fire wall bracket to get a little more space. Once you get the old shaft out, re position the column in the mount and secure it back down. Then work at getting the rag joint off, (the next fun part).

Matt

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Well, those stupid studs on the rag joint wouldn't let it just slip by, but I unbolted the gearbox and it gave me just enough room to get the shaft out.

I saw a youtube video of a guy cutting the rag joint on the upper shaft off because he couldn't get it with a puller. I've had enough fun today, but will try a puller tomorrow..I'd love to talk to the engineer who designed this setup!

On a side note -- I bought one of these super cool OTC "Super Duty" pitman arm pullers. WOW! Had my pitman arm off in about 10 seconds! GREAT TOOL!

Attachments

• close up rag joint.jpg
    close up rag joint.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 92
  • shaft out.jpg
    shaft out.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 81

jonmelton

I saw a youtube video of a guy cutting the rag joint on the upper shaft off because he couldn't get it with a puller. I've had enough fun today, but will try a puller tomorrow..I'd love to talk to the engineer who designed this setup!TOOL!

It was probably my video, I had to cut the rag joint off. 40 years and it was basically welded together.

[youtube]es--tRjHOjk[/youtube]

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
It was probably my video, I had to cut the rag joint off. 40 years and it was basically welded together.

[youtube]es--tRjHOjk[/youtube]

No - it some other dude that didn't go into as much detail. Did your new lower shaft come from Wild Horses? I don't recall seeing that it needed a hole drilled into the shaft. What a PITA that looks like!

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Well, I got the upper rag joint off. Cut a little too deep in one spot but I don’t think the spline is hurt. The new WH shaft should arrive today, and I’ll have to figure out how to deal with the mushroomed end of the shaft.
bded32dee9a070d1238d267e5863ef73.jpg