• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing Lower Steering

atx-davis

Loc.
Austin Texas
How do you remove the lower steering shaft? I have a 76 and it looks like theres just one bolt thats connected to the p/s box. I'm also getting a 2'' body lift. Will that require a speacial joint on the lower shaft to align with the upper?

Lastly, As I'm restoring my steering column whats the prefered paint to use? After prep, I was gonna spray some Gloss Rustoleum, I've heard about POR 15 and other products..any suggestions?

-ben

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
Ben,
Thats it. The the 76' and 77' don't have to be modified for a 2" lift. The solid shaft and joints in the earlier steering columns did require modification.
The Rustoleum paint and engine degreaser don't get along very well.
Use either a high temp engine enamel or Por-15 to paint it.

Tuck

atx-davis said:
Do I have to watch out for p/s fluid comming out where the shaft is? :eek:

No, you'll only be taking the universal off of the shaft. No fluid loss. The bolt loosens the universal.

U

Unregistered

I have a 76 as well, just swapped into a PS from the same yr of manual steering. The shaft is the same just shortened for the longer PS box...so there should be plenty of length in the shaft without replacing it. You could loosen the shaft at either/both ends, but I only removed the upper to get my old box out and that should work wiht your BL and column refurbish as well. Detach it from the lower column by removing the bolt all the way then compressing the shaft (hammer/large dull punch-evenly around the head of the shaft-not the u-joint). Once off you can extend the shaft by striking from the reverse...check max length, but you should only need to lengthen it by an inch and a bit. Fix-up your column to your specs while it s detached....without having to screw with the box end.

Hope I dont send you on too wild of a goose chase, but based on my most recent upgrade (2 weeks) that should provide enough room to work and get you by without a new/pricey steering shaft ...as long as you dont already feel play in the u-joints. Good luck

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Sorry this was me...

I have a 76 as well, just swapped into a PS from the same yr of manual steering. The shaft is the same just shortened for the longer PS box...so there should be plenty of length in the shaft without replacing it. You could loosen the shaft at either/both ends, but I only removed the upper to get my old box out and that should work wiht your BL and column refurbish as well. Detach it from the lower column by removing the bolt all the way then compressing the shaft (hammer/large dull punch-evenly around the head of the shaft-not the u-joint). Once off you can extend the shaft by striking from the reverse...check max length, but you should only need to lengthen it by an inch and a bit. Fix-up your column to your specs while it s detached....without having to screw with the box end.

Hope I dont send you on too wild of a goose chase, but based on my most recent upgrade (2 weeks) that should provide enough room to work and get you by without a new/pricey steering shaft ...as long as you dont already feel play in the u-joints. Good luck!