• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing over-drive and going back to stock

buckin bronco

I'm stuck trying to figure the best route in fixing my drive train. Currently I have a Borg overdrive connected to the Dana. It is not connected electronically which means I don't have a speedo or working information of any kind. I'm trying to decide whether to keep this over drive which would mean removing it and sending it to Herb the guy who's name keeps coming up on this site. Or getting rid of it and installing a new drive shaft among other things ($400 in parts) to get it back to stock.

Can anyone offer any advice? To fix it would take herb about a week but we can't guess at a cost until he can look at it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You could probably find someone wanting to play with one and get the stock parts and maybe a little cash in trade. Non-working is a bummer, but for someone who wants to tinker they may be interested.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Should be able to pick up a transfer case and driveshaft for next to nothing. I would probably keep the OD unit and just get it fixed or at least find out whats wrong with it. As its worth more working than not working.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I thought those were only used on dana 18 transfer cases. Not on the 20?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I thought those were only used on dana 18 transfer cases. Not on the 20?

There were a few for the D20. Completely different then the D18 version. The D18 take power out of the transfer case out the back cover, overdrives it then puts it back into the transfer case.
The D20 version is a simple add on unit hung off the output shaft tailhousing that only works in 2WD since all the overdrive happens after the transfer case. No provision to overdrive the front output.
The D18 version has no change in driveshafts but the D20 requires the rear to be cut down as it fills in the space between the transfer case and rear diff.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Sounds cool. I could use that on Dads bronco. 30'' tires with 4.11 gears. It would help.