• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing paint from VIN tag

wimankid

New to the site - learning a lot from everyone!

Previous owner painted over the VIN tag in the glove box, any insights/ideas to carefully removed the paint and maintain the original tag underneath best I can?

Thanks!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can remove glovebox door to make it easier to work on.

Then I would tape around vin tag, actually known as a warranty tag, and carefully wipe it down by hand with paint thinner first. Depending on paint, should start to come off, if not, then careful use of paint remover might be needed.

OP
OP
W

wimankid

Thanks for letting me know. I'd like to keep the original if possible, so I'll try removing the paint first.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Really depends on what kind of paint they used. Various lacquer thinner/acetone solvents might clean it up. Or may not.

FYI, that glovebox tag isn't the VIN plate, it is a warranty tag that happens to have a copy of the VIN on it.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I am guessing that there was no prep work on the painted surface of that Tag. I would mask the area well and burnish on a piece of gorilla tape and then try to just pull the tape off and maybe the paint will pull with it the if it was my truck I would mask off really well and paint on brake fluid on the paint that would bubble the paint so you can remove it. whether the black screen print of the tag comes off too who knows.