• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing rust from the pressure plate

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
Well since I installed the clutch setup over a year ago but then had other priorities come up so the tranny never went in. Last night I removed the whole thing so I can replace the PP bolts with new ones and I can't believe the rust that formed on the PP fingers....it's a whole brand new kit. :cry:

Anyone know of a way to get it off, I am thinking either a wire cup brush but that is going to be tricky...maybe sandblast? I am worried though that the sand will get stuck in the springs, should I just use a wire brush by hand?

This sucks, I really hope to have the EB moving this weekend and this is a set back I wasn't even thinking about.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
scotch brite pad and some solvent, scrubbing the solvent wet pad over the rusty spots will take care of it for you.

OP
OP
FSRBIKER

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
Thanks Nick, any suggestions on the solvent? I think I have some POR 15 Metal Ready and Naval Jelly still or....?

NicksTrix said:
scotch brite pad and some solvent, scrubbing the solvent wet pad over the rusty spots will take care of it for you.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
solvent like solvent tank style, you can use wd40 if you want, just something to keep it wet. you don't want to use something that will plug up the hand pad. try mineral spirits, something simple like that.

tsmustangs

Loc.
All Over
When Your done make sure you clean the plate with something like Brake clean to remove any residue. Otherwise it with ruin the clutch disc.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Why bother? once reinstalled it will rust again its not a part anyone will ever see and it is just light surface rust if its more than surface rust then you have other problems. PP bolt torque 23-28 ft lbs.