• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replace front right axle or new front end??

jetsg4

Loc.
Baton Rouge
little history, then need some advice.

bought a 1975 half cab, basically stock with 76k miles on it. hasn't been driven in a few years, runs well, but long way to go to get it where i want it. not a rock crawler, just going to be a camp truck/weekend driver.

the front right axle needs replacing. the drum brakes have to go, and while i'm in there i might as well replace all the bearings and U-joints. so..... here's my question.

would you replace the front right axle, install a disc brake conversion, and replace the bearings & u-joints

OR

buy this and be done with it http://www.broncoparts4u.com/apps/webstore/products/show/63895

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
$1625 for a D44 with an open carrier???!!! :eek: I sure wouldn't spend that kind of $$$ for that axle.

I have a complete EB D44 with alloy shafts, disk brakes and a locker I'll sell ya for a helluva lot less than that.

I'd replace whatever axle shaft is broken, do a disk brake conversion, replace seals/bearings and call it good.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
That one is overpriced if you ask me. We have usable 44's on our board starting at $400 going up to $850 with lockers.. I would redo your own then you know exactly whats in it.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I had a lot of fun replacing my D30 with a rebuilt D44 that me and my son did together. It's one of the few things I have done to mine that I actualy understood and didn't need a lot of help with.

However, I remember thinking to myself, ya know this sure would have been a lot cheaper to have bought one from a member here that had all the stuff I wanted on it already. If I remember correctly, I spent about $800 on a junkyard 1976 EB D44 (factory disc brakes), plus all the parts that had to be replaced just to get it back to stock form. It wasn't long after that, someone had posted a built D44 for $700 - $750 that was used, but in good condition. All I would have had to do is bolt it up.

I definately wouldn't buy the one you posted; way too expensive!!! :eek:

OP
OP
jetsg4

jetsg4

Loc.
Baton Rouge
thanks guys, i guess i'll take that path. i'm planning on posting some pics and the progress on the build. I'm sure i'll have a ton more questions.

mr.n

It's not a bad price for the axle, IF all Spicer parts were used.

Basic refresh of a Dana 44 front runs 3-400$
Add axle shaft, and bearing your 5-600$.
However, it's always good to know how to repair an axle.
My vote is if you can turn a wrench, do the work your self. Axles are easy, just find some good instructions to put the pieces back together.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
It's not a bad price for the axle, IF all Spicer parts were used.

While you could put that kind of $$$ in parts and labor into it, it's sure not worth it, especially with an open carrier, when you compare it to others you can find.

I have an EB D44 with e-locker, alloy shafts, disk brakes, DOM steering w/hydro assist, new adjustable track bar and spare assembled shafts. I'd sell the entire thing for $1,200. So far, no interest. :shrug:

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wish I would have seen your post for the 44 Steve. Just spent that much on an ARB and Gears to be installed in my housing. Have another $800 in new axles, spindles, hubs, rotors, bearings, seals, ball joints. Did I miss anything?

Well, I know everything is new and should last quite some time. Oh yea, still need to get lockouts:-[ Boy the parts can add up quick:eek: