• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacement thermostat housing?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I wonder when the switch was made to aluminum? I checked several water necks and the only one I have that is cast iron is the neck on my 64 Falcon. 68 mustang and 69 and 74 Bronco are all aluminum.
I'd be shocked if you find one steel that within the past 30 years. Maybe in the 70's, but intake manifolds are all aluminum thus, so are the filler necks attached to them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My '71 had steel/iron. Even the '79 used a steel model, but that was for the 335-series engines, so not the same style/shape as the 302/351 we're talking about.

Paul

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
My '71 had steel/iron. Even the '79 used a steel model, but that was for the 335-series engines, so not the same style/shape as the 302/351 we're talking about.

Paul
1979 was 44 years ago. :unsure: (I said in the past 30)

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The last one from NAPA (7 mos ago) that worked was made in Mexico, and much better quality. Does it have a “Q” on the underside of the bypass port?

Do you recall where you bought that one?

It does have a "Q". Bought it from my local Napa a few months ago.

OP
OP
LUBr LuvR

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, that’s the one that worked last time I got one from NAPA.

Ordered the exact same Part #, box was identical (except for “made in China” vs Mexico), contents were not. If ordering one from Napa, I’d open the box and check the part. If it’s made in China/no “Q” on the housing - leave it with them and get your money back. Oh, and the price went from $11 to $18 in seven months.....

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I can't say for sure since I did not re-read the thread, but I think the reasoning as stated here was simply that the OP wanted one more like original rather than the updated later model one that was obviously not stock.
One way to enhance the stock-ish look is to paint the aluminum blue like the engine. The originals were cast-iron up to a point at least (but probably all the way to '77?) and the aluminum sticks out like a sore thumb even to the non-expert. But to someone that knows, the extra threaded boss at the top is a giveaway that it's not original too.
All that said, if you have an aluminum intake manifold, then the whole top of the engine does not look original anymore and the aluminum thermostat housing is a better match to begin with.

Hopefully that's all they were talking about when saying the new one was not desirable for them.
If not, someone will correct me and clear it up.

Paul
Paul, The original aluminum housing is still on my '77. I had a problem with warpage once, but I found a lapping table and straightened it.
I'm building a '62 Ranchero that my late Uncle left me. In the junk that came with it was a brand new Ford Motorsport chrome thermostat housing just like the one in my Bronco, but chrome. He had bought the housing at least 30 years ago. It's really good quality. I wonder if Ford still sells them?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wonder when the switch was made to aluminum? I checked several water necks and the only one I have that is cast iron is the neck on my 64 Falcon. 68 mustang and 69 and 74 Bronco are all aluminum.
1979 was 44 years ago. :unsure: (I said in the past 30)
And I was not disputing your statement. Simply adding some confirming numbers to supplement it, and others.

Paul

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Check out Dorman 908-1033 cast iron housing with a port for a temp sender or heater hose.