• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing body mounts

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Last year I took my doors off and when I did you would have thought I hit the jackpot on a slot machine with the amount of washer that fell from the hinges. I have keep the doors off since then, but I have plans of going to Super Celebration in April and I wan to take the Bronco with me. So I want to get some lift off hinges. My doors didn't close well on the bottom to being with, so I figure I need to start with my body mounts and work from there. How hard is it to change them? I assume it's pretty straight forward, but is there a "easy way" of doing it? Do I just jack up the area remove old install new? I looked for some videos and found none, I might attempt doing one when I tackle this. Thanks!

eb-nutt1

As someone who just done this on a 69 with oem mounts and having done 3 others prior, there is no easy way!! Best is to spay all bolt threads and allow to soak. Loosen but don't remove completely, then hit the head of the bolts several times to hopefully break the external sleeves between the mounts loose from the bolts...I use a 8"x8" block and jack under the inner floor board next to the inner rocker panel...if the sleeves don't separate, Milwaukee diamond tip saw zall blades are your new best friend. The ones under the rear cab and bumper are the most aggravating.

Brian

triracer67

Contributor
I just did mine. Spray lots of PB Blaster, and use impact on all bolts. If/when you strip heads, I used mm socket that I drove on head, and used impact to loosen. Be patient, it took about 2 hours to remove 5 of the 8, and it took about five hours to remove the two behind seats, and passenger rear. I found drilling the heads off worked better on bolts behind seats since saw all was tight fit. I was able to shim body mounts and fix door gaps, so, it was worth the weekend of work.

chris-nc

Contributor
Bronco Apprentice
This is a timely thread as I'm currently preparing to do the same work on mine. Some great advice in here. The question I have that's relevant to the topic, is: if you do one side at a time can you focus on door alignment for that side at the at same time or will things shift enough when you work on the opposite side to throw things out of whack again? Meaning, is it better to work one side at a time, get both done as far as body mounts, then focus on the doors? I'm thinking about if shimming is required, when best to figure it out.

eb-nutt1

This is a timely thread as I'm currently preparing to do the same work on mine. Some great advice in here. The question I have that's relevant to the topic, is: if you do one side at a time can you focus on door alignment for that side at the at same time or will things shift enough when you work on the opposite side to throw things out of whack again? Meaning, is it better to work one side at a time, get both done as far as body mounts, then focus on the doors? I'm thinking about if shimming is required, when best to figure it out.

Shim/adjust after all mounts are replaced.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
The two under the seat platform are notorious for the holes in the frame that need to be covered up with tape. Hardware tends to drop down in there..