• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing Original Body Mounts / Which Ones Impact Door Alignment?

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
My 76 still has the original body mounts. I have been reluctant to replace them because the doors open/close really well. That said, it's time because the drivers front is causing the grill/hood to be out of alignment by about 1/4". Not horrible but noticeable so I'm thinking about starting slow and just doing that one first and not tackling everything at once.

My understanding is that the front and rear mounts are fairly easy to replace but I am curious which mounts impact the overall door alignment.

Thx

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Definitely the mounts right behind the seats and the ones in in the footwells. If the doors close well now, measure the distance between the ground and the floor brace before you remove the old body mounts. Then after you install the new ones recheck the measurements and if necessary shim the body up with large washers.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
I think the ones under the driver's & passenger's feet affect door alignment the most. But it seems like they should all be replaced at the same time to avoid issues. I did all left then all the right side mounts to keep the body attached to the frame during the work.

Be sure to put tape over the 2 holes in the frame as recommended in body mount instructions:
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/downloads/WH/1910-1924 07-23-18.pdf

armynavy17

Contributor
Since you're replacing the body mounts, might as well use the ones with the integrated 1" body lift... Just saying

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
When I change them, I always put a top and doors on, and if there are holes I install the bulkhead to "tighten up" the body when I am jacking it up to replace the mounts. It may be overkill, but I am so paranoid of tweaking the body and I dislike adjusting/shimming/readjusting/re-shimming the doors, etc.

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
I think the ones under the driver's & passenger's feet affect door alignment the most. But it seems like they should all be replaced at the same time to avoid issues. I did all left then all the right side mounts to keep the body attached to the frame during the work.

Be sure to put tape over the 2 holes in the frame as recommended in body mount instructions:
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/downloads/WH/1910-1924 07-23-18.pdf
I replaced all on my ‘69 a couple years ago. Both before and after i have had trouble with passenger door fitting too tight where top of door meets the front fender and where it meets the quarter panel. I can get it to close by shimming the door hinges to angle them slightly forward. But the gaps are realistically still too narrow. I think I need to bow the body to slightly widen the dimension at the top of the A & B pillars about 1/8 - 3/16” or so Any idea how to shim to make this happen?
Thanks in advance!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Put a level on top of the bed sides and the ledge of the door sill/rocker assy take a picture of each position. and measure the width of the door opening at the top and bottom and write it down. then replace the body mounts. After they are replaced lightly snug up the body bolts working your way around. you may need shims or you may not your better off with shims than tightening down the hell out of the bolts hopefully you still have the top and doors and fenders still on. If the Factory used any body shims reuse them in the same place you took them out of. Spray the bolts with PB Blaster a week ahead of time. I would also drill a hole in the old body mount and spray PB blaster inside. if all else fails then you use a sawzall with a long blade. remember to tape the hole in the frame under the body mounts in the center of the tub. droppimg parts in the frame is not any fun.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
All the mounts affect the door alignment. Just in different ways. Never seen the diagram above, but I have figured it out before. The door opening is floppy, the front clip and rear quarter panel are rigid, think of them as boxes. As you move the boxes around, the gap and alignment between them changes. The boxes move by shimming the body. Then remember the door is hung off the front box as an overhang over the void of the door opening.

Things get even more fun when that is only a little part of the body alignment. The door hinges go up and down, in and out, and that can move a door a lot in regards to body alignment. the fender bolt on has adjustment as well. Changing the door hinge alignment can affect hood to fender gaps. You have to think several steps ahead.