• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing front rotors on 77 with Pwr disc

chrisd0729

Loc.
Churchville, PA
Anyone have a how-to write up on swapping front rotors? I'm replacing them on my 77 and didn't realize the hubs and all have to come off.
Thanks

No writeup but if you aren't replacing the hub you have to drive the studs out then the rotor should come off the back of the hub. Replace the rotor and drive the studs back in. Make sure to clean up the face where the rotor and hub meet. Also, when driving out the studs screw a couple nuts on to beat on, or use something softer like a piece of aluminum or brass.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
^ As above, I use a block of wood a brass drift and a two pound maul. It's very similar to replacing a drum.
Sure a small arbor press would be nice for this task, but thankfully these cars were made so they could be maintained at home.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The entire thing comes off as an assembly by removing the locking hub mechanism, removing the spanner nuts just like you would if you were servicing the wheel bearings, and pull the whole thing off.

This is why it's a great time to service the bearings too, if they have not been done recently or you don't know their history. A new seal (#4250) should be on hand if you're going to repack the bearings.
There are probably YouTube vids for the whole procedure in both cases (bearings and brakes).

After the whole heavy hub-and-rotor is off, you can drive out the studs and replace the rotors like the others described above.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're not keen on the idea of separating the pieces, you should be able to find a hub and rotor assembly fully assembled and ready to go even with new bearing races installed.
If you go that route, I would get new bearings too, since using old (or presumed old) bearings on new races would defeat the purpose of that whole "new" concept.;D

Is this Bronco new to you? If so, all the more reason to inspect and repack the bearings. Or completely replace them if it turns out to be necessary.

Most PO's don't know about bearing maintenance, so front wheel bearings tend to get ignored more often than you would think.
And speaking of bearings... If you don't know how old your rear wheel bearings are, keep in mind that by 100k miles or 40 years (whichever comes first!) it's time to start thinking about their replacement as well.
Unlike the fronts (which can last the life of the vehicle with proper maintenance) these are sealed and non-adjustable. They get replaced when "it's time" for them to go.
That interval varies greatly per vehicle and it's use, but in general I consider them ready to go at 100,000 miles. I've seen way too many fail by 115k, to 150k to ignore them.
And now, with at the very least 40 years on the old grease, if a bearing is original, it's "time" to go no matter how low the mileage supposedly is.

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
X2 Paul,
I agree My original front wheel bearings have close to 300K miles on them.
No plan to replace them anytime soon.
HOWEVER...
The rears have been replaced at least three times.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I love it! Gotta' hand it to having a regular maintenance routine. Or at least a semi-habitual routine.

Paul