• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing Oil Pan Gasket. Anything I need to watch for?

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
The bronco started leaking oil pretty bad this weekend. Looks like its leaking from around the front of the oil pan (and getting blown on everything under the truck) I don't think its from the main crank though.
Anyways, I'm going to start by droping the oil pan and replacing the gasket. I can't imagine it being too difficult (famous last workds). Is there anyting I need to watch for, or upgrade while I'm in there? Any tips or hints that make the job easier?

Thanks!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Get the 1-piece pan gasket from Ford. It has metal rings around the bolt holes to prevent overtightening and it seals real well.

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
If the bronco has a lift on it, the pan will clear the front diff. Get the one piece gasket you will never go back. This would be a good point to look at the crank and oil pump. I'd pull the pickup tube (off the oil pump) and clean it out as well as check the condition of the screen.

PS
lots of kitty litter will be your friend

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Sounds good. I was actually very curious about the 1 piece rubber vs the 2 piece cork. Do I need to use any sealant with the rubber gasket?

Is there anyway to check to see if I have an upgraded crank while i'm in there? The motor seems super strong with no visible signs of modification other than a 4 barrel Holley.

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
No need for sealer on the rubber gasket.
good question on the crank. I have only used stock/remaned cranks
on a reman the polish the crank and might turn it .10". I dont think you get any measureable performance out of that.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Sounds good. I was actually very curious about the 1 piece rubber vs the 2 piece cork. Do I need to use any sealant with the rubber gasket?

Is there anyway to check to see if I have an upgraded crank while i'm in there? The motor seems super strong with no visible signs of modification other than a 4 barrel Holley.

A stock 302 crank will have a "2M" cast into it just after the #1 bearing. 289's have a "1M".

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Banjer Picker,
Find out for sure where the oil is coming from before you start tearing into it. I've seen very few leaky pan gaskets. Mine has leaked from valve covers, oil filter, oil sending unit, & fuel pump but never a pan gasket. Make sure your PCV system is working so you're not building up crankcase pressure.
By the way, there is nothing wrong with the cork gaskets with rubber saddle seals. They are origonal equipment style and if you take your car to a garage, that's what they will install.

bludorbronc

I was reading Hot Rod the other day and the article was about an engine builder and he said that he doesn't use a pan gasket, just uses silicone to make a seal.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was reading Hot Rod the other day and the article was about an engine builder and he said that he doesn't use a pan gasket, just uses silicone to make a seal.

Might as well get out the welder and just weld it on. Because if the pan ever needs to come off it will be just as destroyed from the prying it will take to get it off.

byson1

Loc.
Nashville

And all the excesss goes right into the pan and plugs the oil pickup tube. I'm sure someone with experience can do it right but I sure have seen a lot of engine problems due to silicone.
I just put a one piece pan gasket on my 302 and it fits great.