• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

replacing oil pump

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
is it possible to remove the oil pan while the engine is in the bronco. the oil pump gets in the way. its the oil pump that I want to replace.

Hotrodjohn

yes...You just have to get enough clearance between the front diff and pan by (if its unlifted) unloosen shocks, take track bar frame bolt out, jack up frame and create more clearance, and/or you can lift the motor a bit. Theres some threads on here about it.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I can on mine but both have 3 1/2" suspension lifts and 1 " body lifts.

Lawndart

Loc.
Mine is stock height and I was able to wrestle the pan on/off but it does require jacking up the front and letting the front diff hang down.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You'll need to disconnect the trac-bar, driveline, vent hose, and possibly the cener brake hose. But yes, that's how it's done.
Don't forget to reinstall the oil pump drive shaft from the bottom.;)

jcasey12

I found what for me was an easier way to remove the oil pan on my 70 bronco, 302, and no lift. I removed all the bolts on the pan, dropped it as far as it would go and that left plenty of room to reach in and remove the old pump. Once unbolted, I let the pump drop into the pan and then had room to remove the pan. Re-installation was the reverse. Really quite simple and easy.

jcasey12

Forgot to mention that when the pan is lowered you can also reach in and unbolt the pick up tube.

OP
OP
B

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
I found what for me was an easier way to remove the oil pan on my 70 bronco, 302, and no lift. I removed all the bolts on the pan, dropped it as far as it would go and that left plenty of room to reach in and remove the old pump. Once unbolted, I let the pump drop into the pan and then had room to remove the pan. Re-installation was the reverse. Really quite simple and easy.

that has already crossed my mind. glad you chimed in, just what I wanted to read.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The oil pump went bad or do just want more pressure or volumn
Being the most lubricated part c
They last pretty well

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The oil pump went bad or do just want more pressure or volumn
Being the most lubricated part c
They last pretty well

I read back through his previous threads. His oil pump drive shaft pulled out with the distributor. I believe he's replacing or reinstalling it.

OP
OP
B

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
I did upgrade to a high volume oil pump. mainly because of the miles on the engine. problem is no oil pressure. gage checks out ok. the oil pan is a bitch to remove. I have the old pump removed and dropped into the oil pan. still the pan is a tight fit, not by much. just a blond cunt hair to tight. I think that is an automotive term.