• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing panels--Need help with correct order

HockeyDave13

I've been searching and reading many different threads here and haven't found one that goes through the order of what is best to replace first. I wasn't concerned with this until I read a thread about floor panels and to make sure you replace body mounts first so your panels will square up.

Here's what I have, and what I have to do. I'm looking for input as to what should be done first, how, and why.

My 71 didn't come with a hardtop or a windshield frame on it. I have a new windshield frame to install and I will be purchasing a used hardtop (if you have a decent one near Arkansas, shoot me a PM). I need to replace my inner fenders and core support, they are bent up and have rust at the seams. I need to replace floor pans in driver and passenger wells, it's solid behind that. I may have to replace rockers, not sure yet. There is rhino lining in the wheel wells, I'm not sure yet if I need to replace front wheel wells. I will be replacing passenger side rear quarters. The door jambs and strikers are in good shape and don't need replaced.

So my question is where do I start?
Do I need to get the floor done before the inner fenders or does that matter? Do I need to get a top first and have that and the windshield installed before I do the inner fenders?

Also, since I'm replacing the inner fenders and core support, how do I align and square those? I thought I'd find something on this procedure, but have not seen how and where to measure to make them square for good panel fitment.

There's a lot here and I may not have asked all the questions I need to, so please feel free give me your thoughts. I've seen some great posts and advice here and I am thanking you in advance for your input.

Vedwards

Hey, glad you posted this. I’m in same boat as u. I will be watching for replies. I have to do pretty much the same thing as. I have not started yet tho. How did u remove everything? Spot weld cutter? Or??? Thanks. Hope you get some good info back

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You will, I'm sure. These guys are great! I've never done any of that type work but I'd be interested in the best order also.

Since it's New Years Eve they are probably all out partying right now! ;D

OP
OP
H

HockeyDave13

Hey, glad you posted this. I’m in same boat as u. I will be watching for replies. I have to do pretty much the same thing as. I have not started yet tho. How did u remove everything? Spot weld cutter? Or??? Thanks. Hope you get some good info back

I haven't cut out my floors or inner fenders yet. I was thinking about cutting out the floors but then saw the post on body mounts and aligning everything so thought I better ask the pros here. I didn't want to take out the inner fenders in case there were measurements I needed prior to removal.

I'll use a spot weld cutter on the inner fenders and I'll use a cutoff wheel and sawzall as needed for the floors.

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Don’t remove anything until ready to replace that panel ! Trust me. I have been dealing with a rotten body for sometime now as recurring project. Would not have fooled with it if not ‘66 U14 that I hated to see just die. I think u will find there is no “order” of panel assembly in that every body is different, as in rotten panels, repairable panels etc. I think consensus, if any, would be floors and bed to have body mounts squared to measure for other panels. And after communicating with Matt of YouTube fame, he suggested panel repair rather than replacing where possible to retain relative positioning. I suggest u watch his shows for information and pitfalls. While U can build on ur frame, a lot of folks here use wood carts or rotisserie. I finally found old Bronco frame and put on rotisserie and moved my body this weekend, in 2 halves ! One good suggestion I got was to buy single piece floor, if u need that much sheet metal. My floor and crossmembers were gone. Gather all measurement info, measure your rig, a lot of photos, gather parts (make prints, some of mine in Cloud got lost in update). Below are some example photos. Good luck !

Attachments

• DF6C7B45-AC12-4610-8FCD-52E1881AB005.jpg
    DF6C7B45-AC12-4610-8FCD-52E1881AB005.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 1735ACDD-1E4C-41F1-B8C6-2A659856FE5E.jpg
    1735ACDD-1E4C-41F1-B8C6-2A659856FE5E.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 65
  • B02A24C2-56C6-48F9-AA00-61ADAB10F5B1.jpeg
    B02A24C2-56C6-48F9-AA00-61ADAB10F5B1.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 580AFEB3-56E8-47EB-A082-8629EB4A09DC.jpg
    580AFEB3-56E8-47EB-A082-8629EB4A09DC.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 78

simmsjeremy

Loc.
Cherry Point
I'm in a similar boat as you. I started replacing sheet metal that was rusted and it very quickly escalated. I now have my entire passenger front side tore off. I'm no pro by any means but I found it easiest to remove panels in the following order. PS floor pans first pretty straightforward and easy to accomplish. I did the job with a spot weld cutter and an air chisel. After the floor was removed I removed the outer fender. That was a bit of challenge. Heat and PB blast wasn't working so I ended up cutting the three screws on the front door post and cut all the bolts that attached the fender to the grill and inner fender. Removing that made it easier to access the inner fender, kick panel, door post, and rockers. That's when I realized how bad off I was. Way more rust damage than I had imagined. Word of advice that I learned the hard way, patch anything you can. I've ordered replacement panels and none of them come without effort to reinstall. I'm sure a lot of this goes without saying but I'm just hoping to help.
My rig doesn't have a hard top, doors, or windshield either. It'll definitely make for challenges later on if I ever decide to install doors because I have nothing to mach up for proper installment. Best recommendations I have received is measure and brace everything. Check out my thread titled "input on rust repair" some guys have already chimed in on some does and donts. Good luck.