• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing Rear Axle Bearings?

Gordys74

Loc.
Southern Iowa
How hard is it to replace the rear axle bearings and seals? I have the axles out, but have'nt looked them over good yet. Do these bearings use a locking collar, or just a spacer? Figured I'd replace them as long as I have everything apart. Old ones have 103K on them. Waiting on brake parts, would you believe that NAPA did'nt have any brake parts for a 74 Bronco? Hoooray for Wild Horses!

Thanks!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You usually need to take them to a shop to get them pressed off and new pressed on. Unless you have access to a press.

NOTPRETTY

Loc.
Folsom CA
On the axle you'll have the seal, bearing, and bearing retainer/collar. You can save yourself a couple bucks by cutting the collars off yourself. I used a cutoff wheel being very careful not to cut into the axle itself. You'll find that the collar will pop/crack as it cools after you cut to just before the axle shaft. The pop is due to the pressure they are put on with and cooling from during the cutting process will cause it to pop. Just go slow and you'll see what I mean.

After you have the collars off, the bearings can be persuaded off too. For the install...If you don't have a press...and a powerful press...as much as 10-15 tons...you have to take the to a machine shop to have it done. Because the removal process takes time, they usually add another hour labor for that...which I was able to save. I'm poor and need every dime I can get. I paid for the install. The bearings/seal and collar can be purchased as a kit from any auto parts house. And yes, you have to replace everything, or should, if your seals are bad.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
An extra hour of labor? The NAPA by me has a press in the back. They can R&R a bearing in all of fifteen minutes or so.

OP
OP
G

Gordys74

Loc.
Southern Iowa
Sadly, the NAPA closest to me doesn't have anything for a shop, its just a parts store. And , being a new store, it does'nt have much for older vehicles either. As many Ford 9" rear ends as are running around out there, they don't have (in stock) anything to fit them. I could have waited for the orders to come in, but I would have had to pay shipping on each and every package with one part each to do the rear brakes on my Bronco. Their prices were'nt much lower than I could get the total kit from Wild Horses and the shipping would have ate me up. I just decided to order it all in one box at pretty much the same price from WH, and save some money on shipping.

I'll take the axles to a local shop and have the bearings and retainers done by someone whom I know knows what they are doing. He's a friend of mine and does good work. I've had him do some other work on my Bronco and he's always treated me right. I actually think he likes working on something thats not all computers and sensors, but nuts and bolts mechanics. I like that too.

Thanks for the replies!

cynrays

You can use about a 5 foot piece of 2 inch pipe to wham the new collar on. Slide it over the axle with the hub bolts down and wham the pipe up and down. I have replaced them a lot this way. You can also cut the collar off with a cutting torch being careful not to cut into the axle.

If the bearings don't seem to be worn, I would not replace them. Saves you money...