• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

replacing Rear bed floor

Attac

Contributor
I am in the process of replacing the bed panel of my sons bronco. I also am replacing one of the fender tubs and all 4 bed corner pieces.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258810

Now my question is about the order of the panel install. I clamped the fender tub in place and then I centered the bed panel and got it kleco'd in place and then started to install the corner pieces. It seems that every corner does not line up exactly right but if I released the bed panel then everything would fit much better even though the bed panel might be a little cocked. I know these are not exactly the same and perfectly square but would it be better to leave the bed in place and fit the corners to it. I have measured everywhere and as the bed sits now everything measures correctly. I can massage the corner pieces to fit but before I went any further I thought I should ask those who have done this before. See I am getting smarter with age.
Chuck

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Cricket Sound....Cricket Sound.......:p

KBUCK1

I replace corners and bed. Every corner needed work. Had to add to one of them. I think I put the front 2 corners in and then the bed floor then rear corners

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I built my whole bed from scratch with new parts. i used a lot of self tapping sheet metal screws and a lot of playing around to get things to fit right. I think as long as you have your bed panel centered you should be ok. That wheel tub is pretty felixable but your bed and very back bed rail/support isn't. I would try to get those corner pieces as square to the bed panel and bed support rail. You may end up with maybe 1/4"-1/2" gap between your wheel tub and corner panels but that gap can be "sucked" in with some good clamps and sheet metal screws. good luck!
IMG_1525.jpg

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I replaced the rear floor and the middle floor as well as all of the corners. I centered the rear floor in the bronco and then made all the corner pieces myself. All of the corners were a little different in measurement, the fronts were close and the backs were close but all were a little different. Not a lot of help for your question, thats just what I ran into. Hope it helps.
Good luck!

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Thanks all. From yall's experience I think I will stay on the same path and keep bed panel centered and fit everything else. Its not a lot of fitting just a little on each one but as everyone else had the same then I feel good about starting the welder up. I got plenty of clamps and screws:)

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
did you fab your own corner pieces or buy them? I got mine from JBGYD and i had to trim a few things but overall they fit pretty well. especial the front ones since they slide up under the seam where the seats bolt into to and they have some wiggle room! good luck chuck!

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
did you fab your own corner pieces or buy them? I got mine from JBGYD and i had to trim a few things but overall they fit pretty well. especial the front ones since they slide up under the seam where the seats bolt into to and they have some wiggle room! good luck chuck!

I bought them from JBG I believe. They all fit pretty well but like everything else they need a little tweeking.
I will be able to get your pics tomorrow also. I will send them to your phone
Chuck

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I was on vacation last week and did not even get on the computer. I rebuilt my complete bed. Well, just about replaced everything regarding sheet metal. I replaced the rear support channel first (mine was rusted too bad to save). Will list the order I did things below...

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/66-...yle-Channel-Support-Rail-4/productinfo/14094/

Luckily the passenger and drivers side rear posts were fine (though I did have to replace the drivers outer taillight housing), so it was just a matter of bolting the rear channel to the frame, then getting the side posts in correct position (making sure to keep the width correct so the tailgate had the correct seam on each side) and welding it in place. I installed the front floor sections before installing the rear bed. Once I had the front floor in place, then I did the center rear bed. Then I installed the inner quarters and the wheel wells. As I did the wheel wells I also did the corner pieces that fit in front and behind the wheel wells. After I had all the inside metal in place, later I replaced the outer lower quarters due to the original being badly rusted at the bottom of the quarters.

Doing the front floor area...

http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/gary__seven/slideshow/Bronco Floor

My rear floor after I removed all the rusted metal...

RearFloor2_zpsctrcp4zj.jpg

New metal in place...

Bronco_RearOpen_zpsllvwbasc.jpg

Prep3_zpsgzj9wctc.jpg

Prep6_zpsckfbkn4a.jpg

Some of the last metal replaced were the outer lower quarters on both sides...

http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/gary__seven/slideshow/Bronco quarter panel install

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
I was on vacation last week and did not even get on the computer. I rebuilt my complete bed. Well, just about replaced everything regarding sheet metal. I replaced the rear support channel first (mine was rusted too bad to save). Will list the order I did things below...

Thanks JAFO,
I was thinking I was on the right track but wanted clarification.. I have done bed area forward on a few but have never replaced a full bed and corners so I thought it was better to ask others who had done it. I knew you had replaced this on yours but I didn't even think to look at your thread. Its almost like there is too much info on CB, so sometimes its hard to remember where what is where. :cool: