• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Restoring '75...have 1 silly engine question

yankeejhawk

Started a frame-off restore a few months ago. Complete tranny, transfer and engine rebulid. I have/had 300 bags of parts with pics and descriptions.....but, am missing 1 part! And the problem is I have no clue what it's called. Here's what I do know:

It bolts to the drivers side valve cover on the front a the top
It has a vacuum line that runs to the intake manifold at the rear(after it T's off of a vacuum line that runs to the heat sensor thingy on the intake manifold
It was a gold colored bracket angled to attach to the valve cover.

I can't find the part or a pic of the part.
I can't recall if there is any other vacuum lines and/or electrical wiring on this part either

In this pic you can see the part where it bolts to the valve cover but the rest is hidden by the smog control parts.

attachment.php

ANY ifo would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!!
Gary

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey yankee, welcome to CB!
Not exactly sure which part you mean, but the parts I see are as follows. The black and rusty part with the fins is the power steering cooler. That's probably not what you mean since I don't think they bolt to the cover, and certainly doesn't have a vacuum line.
Just to the left of it is part of the Air Pump system. Sometimes called Air Injection Reactor (for A.I.R.), but called Thermactor by Ford I think, it's for pumping fresh air into the exhaust ports or manifolds. The parts in view are called (I think?) a diverter- valve, or a gulp-valve. or anti-reversion valve. Again "I think" that's what some of that is called.
Hmmm, now that I think about it, that filter-looking thingy should be the actual intake for the AIR system. And the vacuum diaphragm on top of it is probably just a control valve.
The items I mentioned first, are on the "output" side of the air pump. All that in the picture looks like the "input" side of the pump. On many other cars, that stuff is actually mounted to the pump. Guess the Bronco didn't have enough room over on the passenger side where the pump is?

Anyway, hope some of that made sense and helps you find what you need.

Good luck. And keep the pics and coming. We like pictures of projects.

Paul

OP
OP
Y

yankeejhawk

'75 Bronco

Paul- thanks for the reply

I bought the Bronco from the original owner with around 90k miles on it. All of the smog/emissions stuff was removed from the vehicle. In the pic, you can only see where a silver/gold piece is bolted to the valve cover. That's the piece I am looking for or wondering about. I'm not sure i needs to be re-attached or installed...at this point I'm just trying to figure out what the heck it is...and better yet, what the heck I did with it.

Thanks again!
Gary

OP
OP
Y

yankeejhawk

'75 Bronco

If you notice the bolts on the valve cover, they are bolts...where as the front one is actually a nut. The valve cover there has an extended stud with a nut. The nut is used to attach this part to the velve cover. The part in the pic(which is noty my bronco) appears to be silver, mine was more of a gold color- a lot like the material used for vacuum parts. Hope that helps. Thanks to all for looking!

Gary

turbotim2

I can see the nut you are talking about but I can't see what it is holding. Are you talking about the canister and hose above it?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Underneath that vacuum valve is a stand going to the stud in the front of the valve cover. The stand goes from the valve cover to under the hose clamp pictured attached to the vacuum valve. That supports the valve from flopping around on its hoses.
The only other thing I see missing is the anti diesel solonoid. That is a large bracket under the front of the throttle linkage at the carb with an electrical solonoid that holds the throttle up while the engine is running and when turned off slams the carb to slam shut.