• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Retrosound Radio Problem

rae61

Installed according to instructions and system works fine with engine not running. However, when the engine is running the sound cuts in and out at the speaker. This happens for the AM&FM and also the Bluetooth from iPad and iPhone. I'm using the Retrosound in dash D52 speaker. Retrosound tech guy was very nice and suggested that I run constant power from the battery, and run ignition from battery using a relay. A ground from the battery was run to the dash and the radio grounded to the dash.

The changes the tech guy suggested did not change or fix the problem, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

OP
OP
rae61

rae61

I was hoping to avoid that, but I think you are right...such a pain and $ when returning from Canada. Do you think the electrical system could be a source for the interference?

I was thinking of taking a charged battery that is not connect to the Bronco and hooking the radio to it for all power and ground, and see if the problem goes away??

Thanks again.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
EB's with stock harnesses are notorious for having very bad interference in the radios, but that's usually just for the AM signals. FM and other sources are not usually subject to the worst.

Can you try another speaker? Or check the wires leading to the speaker? Sounds like you've checked, but thought I'd mention it anyway. Not sure how their speaker would differ from anyone elses, but it's worth a shot at this point I would say.

While I'm with the others that it sounds like return-time in Alberta, a few more tweaks and taps can't hurt before boxing it all back up. Maybe some one else has had this issue and can help. Give it some time.

What condition is the rest of your wiring and charging system in?

Paul

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Don't send it back yet.

Use resister type spark plugs for just this reason.

Older Vettes have stainless steel shielding from distributor cap to spark plug for same reason. The radio delete cars didn't get the shielding.

OP
OP
rae61

rae61

I wired a loose battery to run the radio both the ignition and constant 12v from the + post and the ground to the neg post. With engine running the problem did not happen. One at a time I reconnected the power to the supply leads from the Bronco..still no issues, but when I hooked the ground back to the dash ground problem returned. I ran a wire from the loose battery neg post to the dash ground and problem went away. I ended up running a ground straight from the Broncos battery neg post to the radio and all is good so far.

The dash has a 8ga ground strap that goes back to the block, so assumed the ground was good...

BTW: I would recommend this radio, looks great...now sounds great and the kit comes with all kinds of pieces to allow you to really customize the install.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Rick.