• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ride quality for stock Bronco

ky-resto

I'm in the process of getting my 72 Bronco back on the road. It's been sitting for most of the last 15-20 years. It was bone stock when I bought it and I've done some mods with the hope of better performance with a stock look. I did the F150 disc conversion and new ball joints, steering linkage (with tie rod ends using the JBG sleeves), and cheap motorcraft/monroe shocks while I had everything apart.

I took it for a test drive to test the brakes and the brakes worked fine. The steering and overall handling scared the crap out of me though. After reading posts from folks with similar issues, I replaced the track bar bushings with the energy suspension polys and the handling improved a little, but it still feels loose overall.

The tires are old 235/75/15 highway treads and the springs, C bushings and strut arm bushings are stock.

Do I need to replace all the suspension pieces for solid handling or can I get by with bushings? The manual steering box has some play, so I know i'll need to do something there.

What's the best handling I can expect with a stock ride height EB?

Deano

Bronco Guru
With all new bushings, shocks, alinement, new tires, and power steering. Should drive like a champ and ride good! My opinion. I put a 76 power steering box, track bar bushings, new tires and got it alined and it does great. I'm going to put bushings in the rest of it and some shocks over the summer.

OP
OP
ky-resto

ky-resto

Deano- thanks for the reply. What shocks and tires are you running?

OP
OP
ky-resto

ky-resto

did jamie oliver drive your bronco? I saw that show and love that bronco!

Deano

Bronco Guru
Yes Jamie did drive my bronco. I'm planning on putting some binstine shocks and BFGs or something like a 195 street truck tire as close to stock size as I can find.

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
I got bilsteins on mine along with wh horses stock height suspension using their 11 pack rear springs, made a big difference. Then decided to go with the 2.5 wh stilll rides great.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
If you have the stock bushings (30+ years old) replace them all. That's something I do on any new-to-me Bronco. The old stock rubber C-bushings tend to work themselves out and as a result the front end can shift unexpectedly:eek:

OP
OP
ky-resto

ky-resto

Thanks for the feedback guys. I found an oil change receipt from 1996 and the Bronco had 80 less miles than it does now. The c-bushings look like they're shot, so I'll follow Heuss33's how-to. Great article!

OP
OP
ky-resto

ky-resto

Regarding shocks, I found some NOS Motorcraft gas-charged shocks on e-bay. They were cheap and kind of retro looking, so I bought them. But I'm wondering if I need to upgrade. I can push down on the front fender and get the ole Bronco rocking like crazy. Should I get something a little more stiff? I've heard good things about the Bilsteins. Anyone using the JBG Superlift shocks? Thanks everyone.