• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ride quality

MikeCon

Looking for advice on how to soften ride. Pavement and shell rock only. Daily driver. Hard to get advice that applies since my 73 is stock. Not Lifted.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
When you say stock, are you on stock components like shocks, bushings, etc? how old are they?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you sure it's stock? No add-a-leaves in the back or replacement springs in the front?
A few things can be done, but none of them are going to end up with you having a soft ride. It's an old utility vehicle, and worse it's almost 50 years old now. Leaf spring packs can wear in and "take a set" as individual leaves literally wear into the leaf above them. This locks them in place for the first little bit, but lets them move after a little more force is applied. This ends up not necessarily being "stiffer" but sure makes it "harsher" for sure.

Shocks and tires are next. A good set of Bilstein 5100 series, or a softer shock are a good start. A Rancho 9000 set on a low setting would theoretically help, but I never found that to be the case.

Tires are the biggy for harshness in my book. What kind of tires do you have and more important, how old are they? If not sure, look for the date codes on the sidewall. Should be near the DOT label.

paul

B.ranch

I always thought mine road real rough back when it was stock, about 15 years ago i bought a used lift kit from a guy that was cleaning up his barn, it was a 3 1/2 inch lift with blocks for the back, not sure of the manufacturer anyways those front springs made it ride way rougher. A few years later I bought new leaf springs to get rid of the blocks, with new rear springs the ride was about the same, then a few years later I bought progressive coils for the front and removed the dual shocks on all corners replaced with the bilstiens Paul mentioned and it rides great now, with the exception of a the body roll on the pavement.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Paul is right. Tires are a big part, so are 50 year old springs. Have a friend with a stock bronco. Rode terrible. Did new replacement springs and shocks from wild horses. Literally a night and day difference.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Quality, modern springs and shocks with fresh bushings should go a long way towards improving the ride. My EB was really harsh when I bought it, but it had old 3.5" F150 truck lift springs up front and add-a-leaves in the rear...every square-edged bump was a nice punch to the kidneys, and that was running on 33's with some squish to the sidewall. I replaced those with some modern 3.5" lift springs and long-arms up front and decent shocks (CAGE), and it was a night and day difference. I'll probably upgrade to some Bilstein or Fox monotube shocks when these need to be replaced, but I can drive my rig all day without feeling like I just went 12 rounds with a heavyweight boxer afterwards, noting that the Mastercraft seats certainly helped in that department as well.

I haven't researched factory spring height options, but I'm sure one of our vendors could help you out. If not, Deaver or Alcan will custom make you whatever you want....Betts might as well, which I believe are who manufactured my CAGE rear leafs.