• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

right hub VERY HOT

pistolpete837

Loc.
Bear Creek, NC
i have a 76 bronco and today all of a sudden just started pulling very hard to the right and when i brake it pulls to the left so i was close to home so i went home and looked at it and could not find anything wrong so i waited till my dad got home and we took it for a 5 min ride to show him the problem and when we got home the right hub was to hot to touch what is wrong?

thanks Peter

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
---- check the sliding bolt section for the calipers it could to be sticky or the piston that pushes on the brake pads could be sticking or check the spindle/wheel bearings-- feeling the hubs after driving is the tried & true method of making sure your bearing or brakes are happy -- if one is considerably hotter than the other then that's a dead giveaway--- also to get to the bearing you need a special spanner socket on the dana 30 & 44

BG's 68 Bronco

sounds like something is wrong with your wheel bearings. Have you repacked your bearings lately?

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Pull that baby apart and inspect the spindle and hub for damage. Mine started pulling like that a couple years ago and I made the mistake of driving it home 20 miles. Once I got it apart I found that the spindle nuts had backed off and fragged the entire hub and spindle. I still have the spindle someplace the bearing got so hot that it is now welded to the spindle. I was lucky that the whole thing did not come apart before I got home. It could have been ugly if I had lost the right front wheel and hub on the highway.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D About the only 2 things that do that are draggin brake or bad wheel bearings good luck.:cool: :cool: :cool: Bill :p %) ;D

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Several years ago mine acted like that. It came a part on me as I was driving. The wheel bearing had expired on me.. So take it apart and inspect everything. Go ahead and replace the bearings since they are fairly cheap..

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Your wheel bearings have failed!! I think these are an overlooked maintenance item on these trucks. The wheel bearings should be re-packed every 10-15K miles...more frequently if you wheel it where it gets mud and water as high as the hub. I have had 2 completely fail in the 12 yrs I have owned my Bronco. The first time was about 1 month after specifically having it serviced (bearings repacked); I was in grad school and had had my tools stolen from the truck about 4-5 months prior...so I couldnt do them myself. Anyway, they froze up while I was taking the back-roads from BHM to Mobile along hwy 43. I was about 15-20 miles N. of Thomasville in the middle of nowhere. Luckily, there were some nice folks who let me use their phone...very poor part of rural AL, I was relieved that they had a working phone. Anyway, since I was in the middle of nowhere, I drove as far as I could till it pulled REALLY hard (was already pulling)...turns out the bearing failed allowing the hub to lock and literally twisted the outer axle like a twizzler into two pieces this made the hub so hot it literally melted out and was dripping from the hub...I didnt realize that the axle was severed unitl after I was towed into thomasville, bought tools, bearings and hubs and prepared to do a quick on the fly "Bronco-fix"....I went to pull the tire off and the axle came out with it--seriously. I had to have another tow truck come all the way up from Mobile, so it could be taken to a known and reputable shop that could document that the bearing repacking was done incorrectly. The Goodyear ended up paying about $1500 for parts towing and labor. The second time, it was my own fault, I hadnt serviced the bearings in about 3-4 years (and alot of miles). I smelled a smell...the kind of smell you never forget...within two seconds I was pulling off the road. This time it was the drivers side. I replaced everything that time...u-joints, bearings, the spindle on the wheel that failed (kept as spare), brakes, etc. I had wheeled it a few times and was driving alot of highway miles as well at the time (50 mile commute), so its just maintenance we need to be aware of. Definitely remove and check the spindle...if you havent taken on this chore/maintenance yet, its a good time to learn. The Haynes manual has a good exploded diagram. Repack your bearings properly...I usually use a good bit of extra grease that I press into the hub around the bearings (along with packing the bearings well), to assist in keeping moisture away from the bearings. Some people will say its not necessary, its definitely messy, but I havent heard a great argument against it yet. Best of luck and sorry for the loooong story.

John

Cooter_76

If/when you get new wheel bearings be sure to check the size against your old ones. When I did my chevy disc brake conversion I received the wrong outer bearing in the "right" box. :mad: It took me two weeks to figure out why one of my hubs was getting extremely hot.

AZMike

Loc.
Flagstaff
You DON'T want the front bearings to seize up at high speed on a freeway :eek: trust me on that one! I feel up my front hubs at least once a week ever since that happened!

They're pretty easy and cheap to re-pack or replace. If it's not a dragging brake, inspect the bearings and replace them if there's ANY gouging, pitting etc in them.