• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Right size tap for C4 panfill dipstick?

Proeliator

I've ran into kind of an odd situation. I have a '75 EB with the factory C4, the dipstick screws into the pan, rather than joining at the body of the C4. I've bought a new aluminum TrickFlow aluminum pan which was supposed to be a panfill, its not. No big deal, I figure I'll just drill and tap it for my old dipstick.

Here's the weird thing: The bung in the factory pan, and the threads on the end of the dipstick are slightly larger than your standard 1/2 npt, as well as the thread being at a 18 tpi. Wtf!? Every 1/2 and up tap I've ever seen was 14 tpi. Any idea on what the heck size/type tap I need to be using? Its like I need to use a 9/16 18tpi tap but that doesn't exist. I'm at a loss what the heck Ford did here...

brewchief

Isn't the end of the dipstick a big inverted flare? When I first did up my c-4 I remember the trans guy having a hard time finding a fitting to make it work.

Brewchief;D

bobbyray27

What type of threads are we woking with, pipe, compression or standard bolt threads.