• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RIP - Parnelli Jones

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Just heard that Parnelli Jones passed away today at the age of 90 - just 2 months shy of his 91st birthday. Parnelli was an incredible icon in the field of motorsports - it is often said that he, Mario Andretti, Dan Gurney, and A.J. Foyt should be on the Mt. Rushmore of American Motorports.

He was a hero to many of us for his accomplishments in the world of Bronco racing - owning and driving the infamous Big Oly Bronco - the first real Trophy Truck and a legendary performer in its own right. Parnelli was always very gracious and kind to us Bronco enthusiasts - attending several events over the years where we had a chance to meet and interact with him.

Godspeed Parnelli!

Todd Z.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Many of the greats from the time are passing on now. Recently the Italian maestro of many iconic designs from the 70s Marcello Gandini passed away as well. End of an era.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
One of the greatest of all time. RIP PJ, you were one of a kind. I always looked up to him as a kid and even now. Deepest sympathy to the family and all those he touched over the course of a great career.

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Many of the greats from the time are passing on now. Recently the Italian maestro of many iconic designs from the 70s Marcello Gandini passed away as well. End of an era.
I had the same sentiment when I read the news. So many of the icons of the automotive industry are passing on. Of course, amongst us car nuts, they will not be forgotten.

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Northwest Suburbs, Chicago
Hi Everyone,

Truly a legend.

This is a pic from my past. Todd was kind enough to have Parnelli sign it a number of years ago. Some of my fondest memories are of the Stroppe work my Dad was involved with in the early 70s.

RIP, Parnelli

Jeff View attachment 926336
Only a real man could wear plaid pants and a short sleeve turtleneck!!!!! He was a one of a kind that will be long-remembered. God's Speed.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
our icons are leaving us....
For sure but they are leaving behind a legacy, some of which are being well taken care of and shown off

Parneli’s 1978 trophy truck on display at the motor sports hall of fame museum at Daytona International Speedway

Attachments

• IMG_0976.jpeg
    IMG_0976.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0975.jpeg
    IMG_0975.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69