• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RJM is MIA, alternate best efi harness source?

briancave

After 4 weeks of waiting for a harness and some injector parts from RJM, I think I need to move on. I really appreciate his website and articles and think his harness kits look nicer than the unloomed painless ones. I'm trying to be a supporter but a month later and no returned emails, phone calls, and now a full voicemailbox, it's getting a bit ridiculous. I've heard things can take a while to get from Ryan but a little correspondence if there is a backorder or problem would seem like a business minimum. Anyway, does someone else sell a loomed efi harness that is bronco/mustang specific like the rjm one?

z70what

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Johnson City
summit racing makes a great 5.0L harness for about the same price.. i used it and works well, easy to install.

trentturner27

i went through the same ordeal with rjm about a year ago. its unbelievable... I finally got in touch with them after several weeks and just had them cancel my order. anyways... I ended up buying the ron francis harness. it said in the description it is made with rjm technology. the directions they sent were word for word with the ones on rjm site.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I just sold a Ron Francis harness to one of our members. They're laid out exactly like the RJM harness. And It looks like the install instructions are RJM's pictures. At least with these harnesses, you'll have a Co., (Ron Francis/TDZ) to back it up.

Mark

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
It wouldnt surprise me if he was bought out. From what I remember the guy has some pretty serious medical issues. I dont remember what though...

OP
OP
B

briancave

Thanks for all the info. It does look like Ron Francis has taken over the market for these. I think I will go for the Bronco specific one rather than the cobra75 one. More expensive but it looks to be all pre wrapped.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Shame the prices went up so much. I prefer the more universal one though, as the pre-made one is very engine layout specific and needs to be modified if you're using different intakes, sensors and MAF locations than specified by the harness.

It's a nice piece of work for sure, but so far out of the 5 I've been involved with, we had to modify every one to fit. The least we had to do was on one we only had to lengthen the IAC and IAT branches.
It's still a nice piece, but a shame when you have to cut into the tape and splice wires.

No matter which way you go though, I recommend thinking and re-thinking about where you want to mount the ECM. I've never been happy with where RJM used to recommend. Don't know if the new instructions are the same or not, but the glovebox corner is sorely lacking in available real estate.

Paul

u10072

Bronco Guru
Why not mount the ECU like they do on the late model vehicles? The back of the computer sticks through the engine side of the firewall -- the connector is the same but it has a gasket in there to make it all work right. You just have to get the bracket from literally every donor vehicle out there. At this point I am still mounting on the inside but if Ford mounted the computers on literally millions of cars and trucks then the EB is fine. Best part is you dont have to fight the oval plug that is about a 1/2 size too small -- the guy that came up with that was an idiot! Here is one thing that I did and would highly recommend-- if RF is making the harnesses--and I am guessing one at a time-- and if you are mounting inside the cab. Go to a salvage yard-- take a pair of battery cable cutters -- find a Dodge Neon. On the engine side of the firewall is a big round grommet the wires all go through. Cut that wire apart and yank that think out of there- clean up that grommet with some solvent or a nice quick sandblasting and have RF use that on the harness. You get to use a round hole which is so much easier to make with a simple hole saw and you can easily get the computer plug in and out without chewing up any wires.

Attachments

• NeonGrom2.jpg
    NeonGrom2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 51
  • NeonGrom3.jpg
    NeonGrom3.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 50

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm sure they'll answer for sure, but I'm pretty sure we've heard from several here that have ordered and received theirs. Apparently they're in stock and ready to go from the usual sources (RF and their distributors of your choice). No waiting.

Paul

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
I got the RF one from Summit. I received it the next day. It is the exact same thing as the rjm and the instructions were word for word rjm. I only had one small issue with it but overall nice product.

If I remember correctly I had to open up the hole for the firewall grommet just slightly to get a nice fit. I'm still trying to figure out why they didn't run all the wires through the grommet first......there's a pic of everything installed in my garage.