• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rock sliders / Steps

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I have been back and forth on what I want to do for rocker protection for a very long time. I had a set of BC rock skis but decided I didnt want to drill in my rockers so I sold them. I have never wanted something hanging down lower than my rockers.

BUT... I am thinking I may build some kind of combo slider / step that would bolt up to the frame and fit very tight to the rocker. I have some ideas but I would love to here or see what you guys have done.

Any photos would be welcome.

Greg

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Get the drill out Greg!!!

Loved my rocker rappers from thebroncoranch - form and function - done right.

Attachments

• photo%201.jpg
    photo%201.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Just about any of them require drilling. I thought about your approach, whcih could be done in conjuction with drilling and affixing to the rockers--for additional robustness, but there is no good way of making them stay without drilling and fasteners. I used SS nutserts and SS hardware to affix mine. Duffs used the nutserts on their units and claimed to have good success, so I stole that idea for installing my Rocker Rappers. Last fall, I was on a ledge and ended up jamming the rocker into a boulder and bouncing (sort of laterally) on it trying to gain purchase. The Rappers kept the rocker from canning, it did put a small bend in the Rapper and rocker AND pushed the whole rocker door post in slightly right at the bottom of the door level. Nothing that cant be fixed with a push from a pull-pal from the other side. Without the Rappers I would have REALLY screwed up my truck. I think this kind of product is best suited for a direct verticle force into the rocker. A strike from the side, with any of these products will likely yield a small tweak, but nothing comparable to a naked rocker. As far as a verticle strike, these things are bomber, which is probably more common.

I figured with the nutserts, it would look cool just with nice hardware in there...or I could install some polished SS or flat black flat-stock if I ever wanted to get rid of the Rappers. But after witnessing the benefit, I doubt they will ever come off.

Another crazy option would be to install a set with body panel adhesive. The rockers would have to be bare steel and could then be top coated. Ultimately, you are still limited by the inherent rocker structure however, and as I found out, if the rocker itself wont/doesnt move, then the whole lower side can. With the RR style, you could easily make introduce a set of brackets, bushings and use some tube to make a frame connection to help withstand such lateral forces...and I am considering this in the future, but 5K lbs, slamming, slamming, slamming into a boulder off-camber...somethings going to give...

The tube...like on Huess's units probably would have helped disperse the strikes better. I would definitely recommend those. Mine didnt, still dont have them...its on the list.

Go with at least a 3/16 version (1/4" if you can). If you play, ultimately you will pay...so better to have something than nada.

Nott

Get the drill out Greg!!!

Loved my rocker rappers from thebroncoranch - form and function - done right.

I love those fenders, did you cut and weld in a front end fender flare to get that look or what. I have only seen a couple of them and would love to know how you do it? Thanks.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I love those fenders, did you cut and weld in a front end fender flare to get that look or what. I have only seen a couple of them and would love to know how you do it? Thanks.

Its a fiberglass tub - the flares are molded in and extra wide.

Its a great look - I really miss that truck.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Just about any of them require drilling. I thought about your approach, whcih could be done in conjuction with drilling and affixing to the rockers--for additional robustness, but there is no good way of making them stay without drilling and fasteners. I used SS nutserts and SS hardware to affix mine. Duffs used the nutserts on their units and claimed to have good success, so I stole that idea for installing my Rocker Rappers

You have to drill a huge hole for the nutserts right? What size screw did you use? I have a ton of 3/8 and 1/4 nutserts but if I am not mistaken you have to drill a 3/8" hole for them.

Greg

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I crawled around with some tubing trying to come up with a design I liked for some rocker protection / steps. I was not very creative... Maybe I will bite the bullet and drill my rocker panels.

Question is... whose product is designed to be used as a step? The ones I saw said "not to be used as a step".

I would be concerned that the rocker panel would not be strong enough for this.

I know this has been beat to death and there may be 20 threads on this but I wanted the most current ideas / products.

Greg

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Mine can be used as a step. I used it everytime. The only thing it needed was some of that no-slip grip tape that they put on stairs. Those tubes are slippery when wet.

dooooooooo it!

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
You have to drill a huge hole for the nutserts right? What size screw did you use? I have a ton of 3/8 and 1/4 nutserts but if I am not mistaken you have to drill a 3/8" hole for them.

Greg

I ended up using metric SS nutserts and fasteners b/c they were slightly larger than the standard SS that I could order from McMaster Carr. I am not sure how big the holes were as that was a few years back...I can check the drill bit I bought. They were bigger than I had envisioned, but I also felt it gave me a more HD result. I believe they were the SS M6 X 1.0 size SS. The hardware ends up being a little bigger than a 5/16"...with 7 or 8 on the outside and 6 or 7 on the underside (verticle back of rocker) of the rocker, its a very solid install. I used the M6 X1.00, so that if I ever have a problem with one of the inserts I can install an M8 X 1.25 in its place...which I had to do for one of the inserts when I had a poor crimp. With the allen button head SS hardware on flat black Rappers, it looks pretty sweet too, IMO. I dont have any photos of the install, but I can get some for you...

Attachments

• DSCN1309[1].jpg
    DSCN1309[1].jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Trailpsycho-JohnMcLean-02.jpg
    Trailpsycho-JohnMcLean-02.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 80

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
As far as using them as a step, what I did with my BC rockskis was added two brackets each side that attach to the backside of the rockski and then up to the floor board. I used 3/16 x 2" flat bar,which I bent up to bolt to the floor and then went at an angle to the rockski and welded it. For my floor boards I use a steel Diamond plate insert so attaching to that wasnt a concern for me. It adds great support for using the side tubes I also added for steps.