• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rocker arm adjustment

semprbronc

Loc.
Magnolia, De
I have '70 302 heads on my '75. I am in the process of rebuilding, and my trusty book says to torque the rocker nuts to 17-23 ft.lbs. This doesn't seem right to me. To do this I have to tighten the nuts all the way down to their stops. This obviously compresses the lifters and springs. Is this right? I would hate to finally get this all together, start it up, and bend a rod. :(Thanks again.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=semprbronc link=board=5;threadid=12411;start=0#92263 date=1040159158]<br> I have to tighten the nuts all the way down to their stops. This obviously compresses the lifters and springs. Is this right? .<br>[/quote]<br><br>some of the lifters, depends where the crank is on its rotation.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
Yes, this is correct. The lifters plungers will ride somewhere around the center of their stroke. You're thinking Cheby, where you have to adjust the fool things.

OP
OP
semprbronc

semprbronc

Loc.
Magnolia, De
THANK-YOU!! You caught me, I am a recovering chevy fan. Thankfully, I have seen the light, learned the error of my ways, and hope to make a full recovery! ;D

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
Its okay man, take a breath, count to ten, and open your eyes. I too have a couple of em lyin around to cart kids, groceries, and such. Nobody seems to hold it against us though, as long as we get out the REAL big boy's toys when we are gettin serious ;D

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
Everyone is right ! but in your case , follow the book on how to torque your rockers properly and Do Not re-use your old nuts . Trust me on this one ...get yourself some new nuts ! ;)

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Small block Fords produced before 1967 had adjustable rockers like Chevy. The later Ford small blocks didn't have the adjustment designed into the head. Some factors can and will affect the pre-set adjustment, these are:<br>The amount removed from a decked block<br>The amount removed from a milled head<br>The amount of material removed from valves and stems.<br>The amount of material removed from valve seats.<br>How thick your head gasket is. <br><br>On engines where an adjustment is necessary on a stock motor equipped with non-adjustable rockers, you will need to purchase oversize or undersize pushrods. I didn't like that method when I put together my '73 302 in my pick-up truck so I went and got 16 grade-8 flat washers that were about .060" thick, and 16 grade-8 5/16" fine thread nuts. and I put the washers between the fulcrum and the stock nut, adjusted the valve lash to my liking then used the new nuts on top of the stock nuts and jambed them together like you would a poly lock. This was something for me that was strictly experimental but the motor now has 60,000 miles and not so much as a whimper out of it. <br><br>Note: Poly-locks can stick up so high that your stock rocker covers won't clear the height, so in many cases you will need to get taller aftermarket covers. This is why poly-locks are worthless for my purposes.<br><br>BH<br><br><br>

OP
OP
semprbronc

semprbronc

Loc.
Magnolia, De
Thanks guys. ;) I think I've got it all ready to go back in. Howie, thanks for the tip on new nuts, went and did it. It has definately been a learning experience!