• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rocker arm/Valve lash adjustment?

Oatmeal

Yeah those are definitely rail rockers and the correct length valve tips so, why did the p/o install guide plates?:? seems like it will just produce unnecessary friction for no purpose what so ever......I hope those are, in fact, at least hardened pushrods!-------Hans

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The rail rockers are/were used when there are no guides for the pushrods..its a 'one or the other but not both' kind of deal. That is separate from the tip length issue that you correctly pointed out.

I have that exact setup on several motors and I'm using the stamped steel roller-tip rockers on two and billet full roller rockers on another; all three of those options leaving the tip laterally free to shift a bit, of course, unlike the old rail tips.

I fully understand they are not needed with guide plate or vise versa. I know they never came that way. If you think about it it doesnt matter if both are run hell might even be better since the guide plates will help center the rocker. As long as the valve tips are the correct lenght for the rail rockers and they dont touch the valve retainers at full lift its not a issue. Even rail rockers move around on the valve its not exactly a tight fit.

Yes performance wise its not a good idea to run that setup. but unless he's going to be racing this bronco I dont see any problem running it as is. He can always upgrade rockers later on if he wanted. From the sounds of things its already been running as is for awhile and it hasnt self destructed.
Would I run that setup not unless I needed to as I would opt for new rockers somewhere down the road.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yeah those are definitely rail rockers and the correct length valve tips so, why did the p/o install guide plates?:? seems like it will just produce unnecessary friction for no purpose what so ever......I hope those are, in fact, at least hardened pushrods!-------Hans

I think he said he had trick flow push rods they are hardened. More than likely the pressed in studs were pulling out so screw studs were installed.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like either the PO ran out of money after all the goodies, or had such a bitchin' set of rockers on there that he decided to pull them before the sale.

Have fun next weekend!
Why is it, by the way, that we always seem to be wrenching before wheeling? Right up to that eleventh hour too!

Paul

OP
OP
SDlivin

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
Why is it, by the way, that we always seem to be wrenching before wheeling? Right up to that eleventh hour too!

Paul

Funny how that works out isn't it....

Thanks for all the help everyone... When everything gets put back together and fired up, I'll post results.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Whether you upgrade to roller rockers or not, you should measure for new pushrods. Yours are way too short and are wearing the edges of the valve tips.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
More than likely the pressed in studs were pulling out so screw studs were installed.

Could be..but the stud bosses have to be cut down a good bit before they are drilled and tapped. It's not a trivial operation and only done on bare head while off the engine. I'm betting it was done to head in the direction of a decent performance build and the correct rockers either never got bought...or got kept. ;)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd agree there. Its a good mod to already have done. I was going to get a set of heads done and when i priced it out it was only going to be a little more money for aftermarket heads. guess which way I went.;D