• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roll bar Installation Bolt vs Weld

Benny920

I have the below roll bar bolted in to the body and everythings good. My question is, what is the advice/guidance on bolting the kicker tubes to the header tube (current design) vs welding the kicker tubes to the header tube which would be some extra work. I assume there might be a few opinions on the and curious what they might be. I feel a welded joint would be better stronger and look "cleaner" then bolting it.

https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/66-77-ford-bronco-4-point-interior-bar

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Feelings aren't engineering. Either trust the engineers who designed it, or design your own.

But it's VERY important to note that it is NOT a "roll bar". It is only cosmetic - it serves no structural function, so its strength is not relevant. That's why it's only bolted together - so it's easier to remove when you get tired of having it in the way. Welding it together will not increase its strength.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Looks like a copy of the old Smittybuilt bar. They are actually useful regaurdless of what some people think. They work best for a side flop. It hits and stops the roll. Without it a side flop can continue into a full roll. Not the greatest for a hard core trail rig, but simple and effective enough for a street/light trail rig.

I like them bolted in. When I did the cage my friend who was helping was ready to burn it straight to the body. I took the bolt in approach. A few years later I did a paint job. I took it out to get a better paint job. Good thing it was bolted in.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Kickers welded AND bolted seems best to me.
But only for a single aspect.
For everything else, including the mentioned maintenance and eventual need to remove the bar for whatever reason, welding would make it extremely difficult.
If you have welded kickers, I can almost guarantee you can’t remove the bar without removing the top also. And if the kickers are welded in such a way as to be a very tight fit inside the body, you may never get it out.
Front bars for a full cage are almost always welded, and they are usually pain to work around.
But they are probably welded for a reason I’m guessing. However, that reason might simply be for ease of installation.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
It’s going to have a lot to do with your welding skills. A bolt is far superior to a crappy weld any day. A bolt held in double shear is very strong, the weakness will come from the tubing itself. I say do whatever you’re most comfortable with and not worry about it.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Your call and things to consider when light bar versus roll cage shopping.

Attachments

• eb 4.jpg
    eb 4.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 75
  • eb 5.jpg
    eb 5.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 62
  • eb 7.jpg
    eb 7.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 55
  • eb 9.jpg
    eb 9.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 59
  • eb 10.jpg
    eb 10.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 57
  • eb 13.jpg
    eb 13.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 57
  • eb 14.jpg
    eb 14.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 50
  • eb 15.jpg
    eb 15.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 50
  • eb 26.jpg
    eb 26.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 56
  • eb 29.jpg
    eb 29.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 69

Broncobowsher

Total hack
#10 and #29 are where a single hoop bar works.
#29 kept the Bronco from turning into #10.

Now going to a full cage, that's another level above a single bar.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Just remember that the more weight you add above the CG, the more likely you are to end up as #29, and #29 is NOT the goal. Keeping it upright is the goal, which is why it takes actual engineering to design an effective ROPS without causing a RO. A huge tangle of welded pipe isn't.