• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roll Cage for Family

rktect

Newbie 71 Owner with Roll Cage and Top Question
Hello everyone,

I am a newbie owner of a 71 bronco that is decently restored in Raleigh, NC. My main objective is to have an around town driver that we can enjoy the top off as a family (boys 5 and 1); so my two initial questions are:

1. I will need to add a roll cage for safety. I do not want a 6 point, but any advice on a traditional 4 point (single overhead bar) vs the 4 point family cage. I like the look of the traditional 4 point, but safety is first.

2. Based on question 1, should I just get a bikini/breezer top or a full soft top. It will be garage kept.

Any other advice to keep in mind on these topics is welcomed. Thanks everyone.

CP

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you care about safety for the kids get a bar in the back, seats with headrests and at minimum 3 point safety belts for the kiddo's. Heaven forbid something happens you don't want them to be rag dolls out there. If you roll the dice in an accident a rear ender would come up pretty high. Without headrests the little guys are in for a bad ride. In your case covered storage a family bikini top would work well and not break the budget.

aisawalsh

Contributor
Loc.
Sylvan Lakre, Alberta, Canada
Krawler's Edge makes a nice roll bar that protects the rear passengers but doesn't effect anything up front and can install proper three point seat belts for the little ones.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
rktect - I have designed this Roll Cage with a local Welder.

It is made of DOM tubing has front tie-ins for the Windshield Frame. Works great with a soft top. Soft Top Bows can be folded down without taking apart. I recommend the Rampage Top with the Zip-Out Tinted windows.

Extremely strong with Large Plates under body too. Not as good as welded to frame, but not a light duty beauty bar to hang your lights either.

It also has front and Rear 7/16" Fine Thread Bungs for 3-Point Seat Belts.

In the top front corners I will mount Speaker Pods with dome lights.

The Roll Cage is also made exact to the Bronco. This is the 4th one made and built and all are a little different to each Bronco.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco - Roll Cage.jpg
    77 Bronco - Roll Cage.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 77 Bronco - Roll Cage 2.jpg
    77 Bronco - Roll Cage 2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 145

Digger556

Full cage, especially for street use. High back seats and 3pt belts all around.

A well designed cage will add structure to the passenger box that aids survibility in front, rear and side impacts as well.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would talk with NickTrix. He is in NC. Brilliant builder/fabricator. I had a Crab cage but lots of gussets/crossbars to protect the kids in a "t-Bone" type collision.

1- Need to have gussets/crossbars behind front seat and at tailgate.
2-Hi back seats with 3 point, I prefer 4 point and make a frame for the seats that the belts fasten into.

I will try to post a pic of my cage.
BI

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Let's see if this works

Attachments

• SDC13002.jpg
    SDC13002.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 210
  • SDC12894.jpg
    SDC12894.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 277

68ford

Bronco Guru
Hate to always be negative but almost all EB cage sold has zero lateral support. Due to the nature and length of an EB, in the event of a roll over, it will very likely rollnonto it's side. All the cages with nothing behind the front seat will likely fold over. There was a good extensive thread on this a week ago.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Couldn't agree with 68Ford any more. I have behind frt seat and tailgate lateral bars/gussets for that fact.
-I have the seat belts in such a manner, if properly belted in, the head won't hit the rollbar. But I should put padding in anyways.
Good call.
BI

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Couldn't agree with 68Ford any more. I have behind frt seat and tailgate lateral bars/gussets for that fact.
-I have the seat belts in such a manner, if properly belted in, the head won't hit the rollbar. But I should put padding in anyways.
Good call.
BI

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Bailie Bilt is a great option Definitely figure in that 6 point for best safety for family

Soft top, you can use year round vs the bikini top. But could use that as well if you got good heat :D

68ford

Bronco Guru
The ballie built stuff is the same as all others. With slight exception, the one with supports behind the front seats, has a little lateral support. The other cages have zero.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Keep in mind most any padding installed to the rollbar is still going to cause damage to your melon. The makers of the rollbar padding are assuming you will be wearing a helmet.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Newbie 71 Owner with Roll Cage and Top Question
Hello everyone,

I am a newbie owner of a 71 bronco that is decently restored in Raleigh, NC. My main objective is to have an around town driver that we can enjoy the top off as a family (boys 5 and 1); so my two initial questions are:

1. I will need to add a roll cage for safety. I do not want a 6 point, but any advice on a traditional 4 point (single overhead bar) vs the 4 point family cage. I like the look of the traditional 4 point, but safety is first.

2. Based on question 1, should I just get a bikini/breezer top or a full soft top. It will be garage kept.

Any other advice to keep in mind on these topics is welcomed. Thanks everyone.

CP
#2 On the soft top, I have both and it is rare the soft top gets used. The bikini is used in the summer and it is topless in the Spring and Fall. I would try the bikini first (cheaper) and see where it goes.

rktect - I have designed this Roll Cage with a local Welder.

It is made of DOM tubing has front tie-ins for the Windshield Frame. Works great with a soft top. Soft Top Bows can be folded down without taking apart. I recommend the Rampage Top with the Zip-Out Tinted windows.

Extremely strong with Large Plates under body too. Not as good as welded to frame, but not a light duty beauty bar to hang your lights either.

It also has front and Rear 7/16" Fine Thread Bungs for 3-Point Seat Belts.

In the top front corners I will mount Speaker Pods with dome lights.

The Roll Cage is also made exact to the Bronco. This is the 4th one made and built and all are a little different to each Bronco.
I resemble that. Nice job! Great minds think alike.

Attachments

• 2013-04-11 03.40.19.jpg
    2013-04-11 03.40.19.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 2017-09-10 12.45.29.jpg
    2017-09-10 12.45.29.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 2013-03-05 03.14.51.jpg
    2013-03-05 03.14.51.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 106

68ford

Bronco Guru
Padding is fine but such an after though. While strapped in, your head should not be able to hit any tubes. My cage/chassis is very extensive and inside a half cab. My head it nowhere near hitting any tubes even with a helmet on. So I know it can easily be done in a normal cab.