• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rollcage in stock Bronco

bbonne10

Loc.
League City, TX
Does anyone have a rollcage in a stock Bronco? I have two little ones and I am contemplating putting in a family cage so I can roll around this summer with the top off and not worry about the kiddos. Just wondering what it would look like and if it is really necessary on a stock Bronco that will stay on the road.

broncbuster

very necessary. Rollover in EB w/o some kind of rollbar or cage = extreme injury or death. My 20 yr old rolled one when he was 16. Basic but well built roll bar bikini top and stock seat belts. They were going about 50 mph and rolled hard, totally trashed the bronco, both kids had only minor injuries (cuts, scrapes, bruises). They were very lucky to get off as easy as they did, but w/o the roll bar they would have been dead. Why take a chance? No matter how careful you are on the street there are always idiots.

Jakedog

very necessary. Rollover in EB w/o some kind of rollbar or cage = extreme injury or death. My 20 yr old rolled one when he was 16. Basic but well built roll bar bikini top and stock seat belts. They were going about 50 mph and rolled hard, totally trashed the bronco, both kids had only minor injuries (cuts, scrapes, bruises). They were very lucky to get off as easy as they did, but w/o the roll bar they would have been dead. Why take a chance? No matter how careful you are on the street there are always idiots.

X2. No top, with no rollcage, would mean the winshield frame would have to hold the weight in a roll. We all know that aint gonna hold!

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Get a cage. Not sure how far you are away from BC or if you have a local 4x4 shop but either way its a good investment. Even more important for street driving than offroad. I run one on all of mine. Here are my boys in mine.

Attachments

• DSCI0011.JPG
    DSCI0011.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 227

cody72sport

I was in that roll over! the first two things i bought when i got a bronco of my own was new windshield wipers(we wrecked from lack of vision) and a roll bar. dont risk it, buy one for your families sake

75 Ranger

I got one for that same reason...my precious boys.

Here is a pic.

Attachments

• Family Cage (3).jpg
    Family Cage (3).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 248

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I would have one being stock or not even with the hard top on

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
Definitely a must-do if you're going to take the kids out. In my opinion, my family & I would be pretty safe off-road in the Bronco, even without a cage. Off road I control the severity of what I attempt, the speed, the circumstances, everything but the weather.

I worry about the on-road trips more than anything else because I have NO control over what the idiot driver next to, behind, or coming at me might do that could wreak havoc.

Attachments

• June09-w car seats.jpg
    June09-w car seats.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 136

rhino2104

I was in that roll over! the first two things i bought when i got a bronco of my own was new windshield wipers(we wrecked from lack of vision) and a roll bar. dont risk it, buy one for your families sake

A roll bar and cage were the first things I bought for my Bronco as well. Why take the chance?

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>>> I think a cage with some kind of front support for the windshield frame area is really a must .... I put just a rear section roll cage/bar 'cause I didn't want to take up any front room, but I've come to realize that needs to change since I'll be crouching down hoping for the best in a roll over while the windshield area collapses .... I've seen a early bronco before with the hard top totally flatten to the lower body after flipping....... might want to look a BC's cage for more foot room,emergency brake room & no interference with the glove box.................

Attachments

• P5221477.JPG
    P5221477.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 88

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
attachment.php

I have a full cage in mine. That pic stinks but you get the idea. I also have a YJ rear seat and clip a seat for my son to it.

OP
OP
B

bbonne10

Loc.
League City, TX
Thanks for all of the replies, I am definitely putting in a family cage. I am now searching for a cage builder in the Houston area.

Vintage Steel

Loc.
Post Falls, ID
Roll bar??!!
After a year of driving the thing, I just got seat belts in mine last week.
Maybe I'll just buy a helmet.

Seriously though. If you can swing it, get some roll over protection.
Especially if ya got little ones.

muskrat

Bronco Guru
I got one for that same reason...my precious boys.

Here is a pic.

Is that a new addition? I've seen your pics before, but don't remember the cage installed. Did you relocate the ebrake and what'd you do with the glove box door?

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Does anyone have a rollcage in a stock Bronco? I have two little ones and I am contemplating putting in a family cage so I can roll around this summer with the top off and not worry about the kiddos. Just wondering what it would look like and if it is really necessary on a stock Bronco that will stay on the road.

Well, I've been thinking about the same thing for two years. I can't decide between a full family cage, simple roll bar, or the Foose cage. I know I need it, but I have a stock bronco with no lift. As riducululous as this sounds, anything put a simple roll bar would look kind of silly.

I'm leaning towards the Foose cage. I think it would provide enough protection for both front and rear passangers. I'll just have to throw on some skinny 31's and leave her uncut.

75 Ranger

Is that a new addition? I've seen your pics before, but don't remember the cage installed. Did you relocate the ebrake and what'd you do with the glove box door?

Yes, new addition (Oct. '09). I did not relocate the ebrake because I still have about an inch or two in front of it still and can still use it if I need to. The glove box can still open about half way and I can still reach into it and get whatever i want so I left it alone. I'm installing a tuffy center console so I really don't need the glove box anyway.

stock74

I would say installing a full Family style rollcage especially if you have kids should not even be a question. In the event of a rollover the hardtop would likely sandwich you and your passengers. Without a hardtop there would be nothing between you and the ground when you are upside down. When I first got bought my Bronco it was bone stock and installing a family cage was the very first modification I did to my Bronco since to me safety comes first and Broncos are most definitely prone to rollovers. Sorry if I come across as rude/aggressive, I do not mean to sound that way. :) I am just trying to stress the importance of a full roll cage, it may seem pricey but it is cheap insurance if you compare its cost to the consequences of not having a rollcage. I installed 3 point seat belts in my Bronco when I installed my rollcage, something you may want to consider as well.

wwkii

hey could someone tell me the best place to mount shoulder belts for the rear seat my son has a booster car seat and you must use shoulder belts with it has anyone else done this if so id love to see some pics i cant seem to find any on the net thanks