• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roller cam 351 build questions.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I scored a really clean 96' roller cam 351 over the weekend. I'm gathering some ideas for the upcoming build. I'm most likely looking into a mild to medium build on a stock 351 bottom end. I'm not even sure this block will need to be bored.

I'd like to hear what you guys would recommend for a roller cam and of course heads. I already have a pair of rebuilt GT40 heads and the stock 351 heads that only need minor clean up. I'm not completely ruling out buying new heads but I can't afford high dollar heads or the snowball affect that follows that. And new heads will likely kill the rest of the budget for other goodies (and rebuilding the 170 in my 66').

I'll be running efi with an A9P computer, lightning lower, explorer upper, explorer MAF and throttle body with 19lb injectors, WH shorty headers and a single 2.5" exhaust. The rest of the drivetrain is an AOD, 4.88's and 35"s. At 70 MPH I turn 2200 RPM's which is where I want my torque to be.

I want torque right off idle but want to still make power higher than 4,000 RPM's, I wouldn't mind upping the compression, but don't want to go any higher than 9.5:1 or so.

So lets hear your ideas!

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I'd say run the Gt40s since you have them. Just upgrade the valve springs to match the cam. Comp cam #35-349-8.

Edit: Let me add that Gt40's start to run out of breath around 4500rpm on a 351. If you really need to turn more R's than that you will need to go to a bigger head. The above mentioned cam and heads show peak torque @3500 and peak hp @4500.

Last edited:

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
My 351 was factory 95 truck spec. I added Ford EFI with a little larger TB and ported intake, with 24lbs injectors. A9P, GT mustang upper, truck lower with BC adapter. Great low end power, but most power gains were noticed after 4000 rpm. For me, totally unneccesary to have that kind of power with 92 inches of wheelbase.....

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You already have a nice combo started.

Add some Flat Top Pistons / Moly Rings - Mine are 9.4 to 1 with 58cc Heads

Comp Cams XE264HR Cam - SK Kit with Lifters and Timing Chain

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I am running the XE266HR in my 347 and it is great. Other have run it in a 351 with similar results. Power comes on early and is strong thru 5500rpm. As stated, buy the kit which includes the matched valve springs.

baddad457

You already have a nice combo started.

Add some Flat Top Pistons / Moly Rings - Mine are 9.4 to 1 with 58cc Heads

Comp Cams XE264HR Cam - SK Kit with Lifters and Timing Chain

How do you get 9.4 to 1 with flat tops and 58 cc heads ? They'd have to be down the hole by a good bit to (about ..080) reach that.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
baddad457 - Correct, they were listed as Flat Tops, but there is a slight Dish with Valve reliefs too.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I put together damn near the same engine and I love it - 96' block with 96' GT40's with A9P injection, but I've got a shitty truck lower and restrictive adapter, so I'm thinking you will make even more power - not to mention the factory manifolds I'm running.

I wouldn't change a thing - run it with the parts you have and if you want/need more in the future it will be easy work.

baddad457

I put together damn near the same engine and I love it - 96' block with 96' GT40's with A9P injection, but I've got a shitty truck lower and restrictive adapter, so I'm thinking you will make even more power - not to mention the factory manifolds I'm running.

I wouldn't change a thing - run it with the parts you have and if you want/need more in the future it will be easy work.

I'm running a 96 351 now in an E150 conversion van, GT40 heads, stock intake (upper and lower) Pace Setter shortys, full single 3" exhaust, Cobra roller rockers with the stock F4TE roller cam. It moves this 5000-6000 lb van around pretty good, it would be a beast in a Bronco.