• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roller Rockers?

srobinson79

Loc.
El Paso
I'm building a 5.0 from a 91 T-Bird and want to put in 1.6 rollers. The heads are pedestal mount, should I have them machined to Stud? Which rockers are you all running? Thanks!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're building it and the heads haven't been done yet, ask your machinist how much to install screw-in studs and weight the price difference between the pedestal mount roller-rockers and the stud mounts. Personally, I like the ease of adjustment of the screw-in types.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
it should come about the same whether you go with screw in or pedestal mounts, but like was said, if the heads need to be worked go ahead and have screw in studs for about the same money. Seems to be a few more choices of rockers in the screw in stud ones.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Screw in studs with Crane Gold's. I think screw in studs are much better than pedistal

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yes i was wrong in my earlier post, pedestal mounts will be cheaper. By the time you buy decent studs, guide plates and hardened push rods you will be in for about 400 bucks or more (200 for the rockers, the rest is machine work and parts) I saw 1.6s ped mounts in summit for 199.99.

OP
OP
srobinson79

srobinson79

Loc.
El Paso
Which ones did you see in Summit? I didn't see any that cheap. I saw some crane stamped steel rollers on Northern Auto's site for $230 or so, which is the cheapest I've seen.

bushman

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
Hey guys, just my .02 here, but I've been running rail type rockers on my rigs for years with no issues. I was thumbing through my old issues of Hot Rodding and in the September '05 issue, they actually recommend rail type rockers, claiming that they are just as reliable and maintain more stable valvetrain geometry.
These eliminate the need for head machining (other than tapping for studs) and the cost of guideplates and hardened pushrods. Now, I've heard the stories of how the rails can tap the spring retainer, causing it to bounce and let the locks fall out, but I'm here to tell you, if there's a few thousandths clearance between the rail and the retainer, it's never going to happen. Like I said, just my thoughts on the matter, but I run a smallblock to 6,600 rpm in my '66 Mustang regularly and those Comp Magnums have never had an issue.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bushman no arguement from me but he said he wanted to run rollers. I will look up the part number and post it

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
sorry the ones for 199.99 require the pedestal mount kit. but here is the part number for the crane (1.7) for 205.95 CRN-44746-16

OP
OP
srobinson79

srobinson79

Loc.
El Paso
Thanks fordguy! How much would 1.7 change my efficiency and driveability on a stock motor? I'm just a little new at this.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
dont know the formula my machinist does the math you can probably google on it and find the formula but some on here should know and let you know

shifter

Loc.
Agua Dulce, CA
Ford racing makes pedastal mount roller rockers, I have sets in 1.6 and 1.7 used with several different cams in a 5.0, work great, no issues. They also have a tech help line if you need help with pushrods etc.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
You aren't going to gain any tangible horsepower by switching to roller rockers if that is the reason you are switching.

Personally I would save the money and use the stock rocker arms if you still have them lying around (assuming they aren't rusted to shit).

PS, stock ratio is 1.6.

OP
OP
srobinson79

srobinson79

Loc.
El Paso
The main reason for the switch is that I have read online that they quiet the motor a little more and increase the valvetrain life. I have it apart and it seems like the time to do it. 1.7's would be good with me as long as they don't make the idle rough or something. Not building for a bunch of power, mainly for the most efficiency as I love daily driver broncos!

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The main reason for the switch is that I have read online that they quiet the motor a little more

You may be dissapointed if that is the reason. I have comp cams rollers on mine and they are very noisy until the engine warms up. So noisy that I was concerned that I had them adjusted correctly but after having a couple of drag race friends check it out they say it's fine.

Attachments

• DSC00599.jpg
    DSC00599.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 20

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Roller rockers are noiser then normal rocker. After you have been around a bunch of engines, you can listen to an engine running and know it has roller rockers on it from the noises it makes. If you are after quiet, go stock. Make sure your lifters are in good shape and the pushrods are correctly sized.