• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roof Bows For Hardtop

andeez

Loc.
leon junction, texas
I Am Looking For The Bows That Support The Roof On The Factory Hardtop. Does Anyone Know If They Can Bought Aftermarket? Or Is There Someone With A Top That Is Bad And Do Not Need The Bows. I Am Looking For A Way To Better Support The Flimsy Top. Any Ideas?

tbrend

Loc.
God's Country (Iowa)
Does your current top have the supports now? Are they broken loose?

If you still have them, there are a number of things you can do.
I spot welded mine and then used a sound deadner and headliner. I have heard others have used some other ingenious fixes, do a search on this board. I remember see a topic not too long ago.

If your supports are gone, I would imaagine you could find them from an old hardtop. It might be easier to just find a new hard top?

Add some pics if you can

OP
OP
A

andeez

Loc.
leon junction, texas
roof bows

the two roof bows are there and the po hd riveted them to the roof. the roof is very flimsy and i would like to add some more support to the roof. i do plan on installing the dynamat to the roof but as of right now it is very easy to pop the roof up and down between the supports

tbrend

Loc.
God's Country (Iowa)
The roof will be flimsy with out a good support.
I would "un-do" what the PO did and spot weld the supports back to the roof. You will be suprised how sturdy it will be.

Are the supports rivoted right now or are they broke loose?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Spot weld it. They're not so bad when they're fastened in place properly. My top doesn't make any noise at all.

I did a few hours worth of research on finding some bows a little while back because of a question on the LEBC list, but never did find any, anywhere.

On a whim, I emailed Dennis Carpenter in hopes that it just hadn't been added to their catalog yet, and haven't gotten a reply.

OP
OP
A

andeez

Loc.
leon junction, texas
rivets

the rivets are holding the bows and top together. they have big heads on them. in between the bows the top gets wavy. you can push it up and it will stay up and push it down and it will stay down. i do want to remove the rivets. how far apart should i spot weld the top to the bows? also the po had a roof rack that was screwed to the top. it did give support to the roof but looked like s%@t.