• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roof rack for lifting top off?

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
without close up pictures of the gutter mounts we would just be guessing. call the Manufacturer. you dont want to drop a bronco top 6 feet in the air.

OP
OP
jasonmcc

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
without close up pictures of the gutter mounts we would just be guessing. call the Manufacturer. you dont want to drop a bronco top 6 feet in the air.

Here are a few...

Attachments

• rrac109-4_1.jpg
    rrac109-4_1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 123
  • rrac109-3_1.jpg
    rrac109-3_1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3842.jpg
    IMG_3842.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2712.jpg
    IMG_2712.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 145

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
How much weight is the rack supposed to support? That might answer your question. If the rack can support 400lb and the cap weighs 250lb you should be good to go....

OP
OP
jasonmcc

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
How much weight is the rack supposed to support? That might answer your question. If the rack can support 400lb and the cap weighs 250lb you should be good to go....

The roof rack can support the weight. I guess my concerns lie more in the structural integrity of the gutter system supporting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think it s a lot of stress on a small section of 50 year old rain channeled be worried about the channel bending but prob fine that’s just how I think

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Or just go the simple route, eye bolts in the ceiling :)

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Your top looks to be in great shape with strong gutters. I wouldn't be afraid to lift it by the roof rack, however I wouldn't it to remain that way. I would use one or two ratchet straps while it is being stored.

71 CA Bronco

Your top looks to be in great shape with strong gutters. I wouldn't be afraid to lift it by the roof rack, however I wouldn't it to remain that way. I would use one or two ratchet straps while it is being stored.

X2, also use straps holding the sides together. I would think the sides would want to pull outward as you pick the top. That can be a problem even when you don't pick it from the rain gutters.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10217951000032702&set=a.10217753396052726
photo

I hooked cam straps to yakima rack that is attached to drip rail.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
X2, also use straps holding the sides together. I would think the sides would want to pull outward as you pick the top. That can be a problem even when you don't pick it from the rain gutters.

X3. The gutters work fine for lifting and temp storage...with the appropriate Channel clamp towers and good cross bars. After I had .mine up in the air, I positioned some 2X4s at the back corner just against the stakes and another in the front edge (6" or so back from the door edge on the side flats. You can run a lag screw into the 2X4 if you are paranoid and need to make sure it stays secure, but there is enough weight that it sticks to the 2X4s without sliding around. Ratchet straps or a mini-winch to loft it up and you are good to go for long term storage. I would always back up a winch with a ratchet strap for safety. Mine was hanging for about 16.5 yrs before a move earlier this year.

Good luck!

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can always add some straps to go around top and rack once lifted off.

OP
OP
jasonmcc

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
Thanks for all the input! I've decided to give it a try slowly and watch how the gutter acts. If everything is good then I'll keep it stored using 2x4's and rachet straps for backup.

Timstrk

I have my top on a winch system in the garage. I lifted to top off the truck far enough to slide the support frame under the top and hoist it to the ceiling. At that point I attached fixed length anchored chains to the frame. Ceiling joists and frame are chained together and the hoist is now out of the support loop. It's still there but not supporting the top.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks for all the input! I've decided to give it a try slowly and watch how the gutter acts. If everything is good then I'll keep it stored using 2x4's and rachet straps for backup.

And don't forget the pics :)

AJH

Contributor
Loc.
Dallas

AJH

Contributor
Loc.
Dallas
Reviving this thread, has anyone welded into their drip rail some lifting tabs and or rack mounting hardware that’s low profile and in or around the drip rail? I’m having my hard top redone right now with a new roof skin and all new drip rail frame, etc. and had the idea to weld in some low profile, possibly stainless steel lift off tabs and or rack mounting points ?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think additional tabs are a great idea.
Some people won’t like them because they are permanent and may not look right to everybody’s eyes. But I think form follows function, and it wouldn’t bother me at all to have tabs up there even when they weren’t being used.
Personally though, I think I would curve them slightly and mount them to the skin, rather than the drip rail.
I don’t think it would be a problem either way, and it would probably be easier to mount it to the drip rail, but I think mounting it to the top skin would be even better.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
ive lifted my hardtops attached ratchet straps to the yakima racks mounted to the gutter. no issues

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
I lifted mine with a winch mounted in the attic with the cable running through a hole in the ceiling. The top then sits on (2) 2x6s with eyebolts ratchet strapped to eyebolts in the ceiling.