• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rookie question for smog pump removal

khbell79

Loc.
Wake Forest, NC
Forgive any stupid questions here or for future posts that follow :) ... I am a rookie learning my way around my first bronco, a 76.

I am removing the smog pump - mainly because it wasn't running as no belt attached to the actual pump, and I need some help knowing what to do about plugging the holes into the valve covers. Is this supposed to be completely plugged... nothing in and nothing out? Or is this supposed to be a breathable plug? Any suggestions on what to get for a plug would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help!

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I'm sure you mean the ports in the heads. You can plug the ports with a short piece of 5/8 hose,5/8 bolt, and a couple of hose clamps.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Smog pump should not be connected to the valve covers, so I am already really confused by what you are trying to do.

Smog pump is a belt driven air pump that puts air into the exhaust to help it finish buring off.

The valve covers should have 1 PCV valve to the intake/carb and another with some sort of ventalation to let air in during normal use and vent excess blowby out during periods of no manifold vacuum (high load).

You can delete the smog pump without hurting the engine, just dumping more bad stuff in the air. The PCV needs to be hooked up or the crankcase pressure will build up and cause all kinds of fun oil leaks everywhere.