• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rookie question

roparsons

I just need to know what this part is. The valve is towards the back near the firewall on the passenger side of the valve cover. Obviously the hose is old and needs to be replaced so I want to replace the valve part as well. The other end of the hose is attached to the air filter housing.

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Pictures/Picasa%20Exports/Mason/random/0204101650.jpg

Thank you!!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
based on your picture, I think it's the PCV.

Oh wait, it goes to the bottom of the air cleaner or the plate under the carb?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From your description, I'd say it's one side of the PCV valve system.
Although it's position doesn't matter, the Broncos were typically set up with the elbow fitting on the passenger side and the actual valve in the oil-fill cap on the driver side.
The valve should be plumbed directly to the carburetor base (full manifold vacuum) and the elbow has a hose that goes up to the stock air-cleaner housing.
Inside the housing, between the carb and the filter element, is an additional filter media module. Just like the PCV valve and elbow, they're easily found at the local auto parts stores. Though you can also just clean up the old one if it's dirty (it will be!) with some carb cleaner.

Hope that helps.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't beleive it took me 3 minutes to write that up!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't get a link in the first post. How do you view his picture 73az?

Paul

OP
OP
R

roparsons

based on your picture, I think it's the PCV.

Oh wait, it goes to the bottom of the air cleaner or the plate under the carb?

I apologize, it could go to the plate under the carb...it was pretty dark and tough to tell. I think it is the elbow cause the pcv valve is right in the oil cap. Sorry, I gave you bad info

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those hoses do get old. Even when mine was only six year old, I wanted to replace them with factory molded originals and couldn't find them even at Ford.
So I kept my rear hose as safe as possible and cleaned it often. The front one (to the valve) I changed to a metal/rubber combo that I custom made when I changed to a different type of valve after getting a 4bbl carb.

Paul

OP
OP
R

roparsons

From your description, I'd say it's one side of the PCV valve system.
Although it's position doesn't matter, the Broncos were typically set up with the elbow fitting on the passenger side and the actual valve in the oil-fill cap on the driver side.
The valve should be plumbed directly to the carburetor base (full manifold vacuum) and the elbow has a hose that goes up to the stock air-cleaner housing.
Inside the housing, between the carb and the filter element, is an additional filter media module. Just like the PCV valve and elbow, they're easily found at the local auto parts stores. Though you can also just clean up the old one if it's dirty (it will be!) with some carb cleaner.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I have 1 last question about the PCV valve system. I replaced the elbow and grommet as they were cracked and torn. I cleaned up the PCV valve and it seems to be fine. Does the PCV valve itself have any kind of grommet or does it just sit in the oil fill cap? Many of the parts were not in place when I got the Bronco so I have nothing to compare it to.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It should sit in a grommet in top of the cap. Look in the help dept of your parts store.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haven't looked at mine in awhile, but if I remember, it's a bit different from the other side. Shape and size slightly off, but the same one might still work. Worth bringing your cap into the store probably.

Paul