• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rotopax fuel cans

77pony

Loc.
Utah
Anybody use rotopax to carry spare fuel? I'd like to see ways you've mounted them. I'm thinking a couple 2gal cans mounted on the tailgate where the license plate is, or maybe the spare tire carrier somehow. They seal well enough to mount inside the bed, but I'm not sure if that would be a good place in the event of a crash. -al

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have one that I use to carry 2 gallons of water in mounted to my tire carrier. I'll try and remember to post some pix tonight. A good idea but their mounting system has proven to be less than optimal after some months of use.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
77pony

77pony

Loc.
Utah
That's another question I had. How solid is the button-hole mounting system? Do you rely on it, or put a strap around the can as backup? I've used the cans for 4-wheelers and motorcycles but I just strap them on a rack. I love the containers themselves. No leaks. -al

custom-cruiser

Loc.
Boise,ID
Heres a little different style. seem kind of pricey
http://www.4wd.com/Fabrication-Tools/Can-Cam-Complete-Kit-by-Daystar.aspx?t_c=86&t_s=188&t_pt=11104&t_pn=DAYKJ71035RE
images.ashx

RV77

Loc.
Springfield,IL
Ive had two of these for a while but not mounted in the EB.I think its a good idea though and these are very durable.I saw a video of a truck running over them on concrete to show their strength.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That's another question I had. How solid is the button-hole mounting system? Do you rely on it, or put a strap around the can as backup? I've used the cans for 4-wheelers and motorcycles but I just strap them on a rack. I love the containers themselves. No leaks. -al

I think it's strong enough for what I use it for (2 gallon can). However, with use I've found that to have the "dogbone" tight enough now requires more strength than you have in your hand to lock it in place. So I made a little tool to latch/unlatch it - which defeats the purpose of having it easily removable/latchable. Thankfully I don't take it on/off very much.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Apologies for the delay. Here are some shots of the Rotopax water carrier on my Protofab tire carrier immediately after I installed it. Unfortunately I don't have any shots handy of the little tool I made to rotate the "dogbone".

I think this is a good use of some previously unused space.

Todd Z.

Attachments

• IMG_8254 (Large).jpg
    IMG_8254 (Large).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8255 (Large).jpg
    IMG_8255 (Large).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8256 (Large).jpg
    IMG_8256 (Large).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8257 (Large).jpg
    IMG_8257 (Large).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
77pony

77pony

Loc.
Utah
They have another kind of mount with two dog bones. The way I think it works, the outer dog bone tightens against the inner dog bone so it's easier to get tight. I think.

I have the stock spare tire carrier. I thought about maybe just welding a vertical plate on the tailgate where the license plate is, spanning the recessed part of the tailgate, and mounting them there. I would have to put the license plate somewhere else, on the bumper or maybe the rotopax mount. -al

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Todd, Where did you get that?
It is cool, and something I could use for my fishing adventures.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Here you go Mad - Pricey, but I like them!

http://www.rotopax.com/

I balked at the price too but the convenience of ALWAYS having 2 gallons of water along w/o having to throw a jug in the back tempered the pain a bit.

I *think* I might be able to fit a 3 gallon unit on it without hitting the tailgate but I'm not certain.

Their products have been most popular with the ATV crowd but are gaining popularity with the overlanding/expedition types, which is where I learned of them.

Todd Z.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Todd,
I googled them and spent some time there browsing. Looks like good stuff that I could use. I'm liking the water 2 gallon and mounting it just like how you did yours.
madgyver

OP
OP
77pony

77pony

Loc.
Utah
You can stack them too if you extend the mount.

Pricey, but they're tough and don't leak. I carry one laying on its side strapped to my bike and it never leaks. -al

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I picked up a kit today at the 4WDW sale. I got a good deal on it, probably because I picked a whole bunch of other stuff.

Mad: I imagine it'll be easy to re-drill holes but as of a few months ago, they didn't have the mounting plates with the 5x5.5 pattern. Do they now?

Todd Z.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Mad: I imagine it'll be easy to re-drill holes but as of a few months ago, they didn't have the mounting plates with the 5x5.5 pattern. Do they now?

Todd Z.
I asked the rep and he said they will fit 5x5.5" bolt pattern. I looked at the holes on the display and they were elongated so I didn't think much of it.

I found out today that 4WPW also sell the rotopax so I'll going back to the show again today to inquire. Plus I forgot to pick up some other stuff. great excuse to spend more.

Last edited: