• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rtic coolers

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
You drink "Diet Coke"...oh no... the pros and cons...another debate!! lol

OK, here's the next step up in coolers...since we're talking about coolers that only cost $3-500 (like 66WarPony said, that's a lot of gas) why not just spend a couple hours more pay for this??

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-10800472-Fridge-Freezer-Quart/dp/B002Q1INDM

No way am I packing a cooler that ways 33# some place (Ozark brand) far from my Bronco, boat or power of some kind... I'm figuring at 2 bucks a bag for ice that buying the China made ARB frig the payback is only a decade or so away... : )

This has been an interesting and entertaning thread...

66WarPony

You drink "Diet Coke"...oh no... the pros and cons...another debate!! lol

OK, here's the next step up in coolers...since we're talking about coolers that only cost $3-500 (like 66WarPony said, that's a lot of gas) why not just spend a couple hours more pay for this??

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-10800472-Fridge-Freezer-Quart/dp/B002Q1INDM

No way am I packing a cooler that ways 33# some place (Ozark brand) far from my Bronco, boat or power of some kind... I'm figuring at 2 bucks a bag for ice that buying the China made ARB frig the payback is only a decade or so away... : )

This has been an interesting and entertaning thread...
LMAO! Don't get started on the aspartame and it's thermodynamic characteristics! Bwahahaha!

Present: '69 4.1L I6, Aussie 2V, Weber 38/38; Up next: CI Headers, Dual exhaust

66WarPony

Isn't that the underlying issue though? What's "reasonable" in price? I'm Native Hawaiian born and raised... I need 96° and 100% humidity to thrive! I'll take 10 full tanks of gas to a cold one any day of the week!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
DIEt

The first three letters or in other words three fourths of the word is DIE

No thanks ;D

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
If I may step away from the Cooler discussion to address a couple other Yeti,RTIC,Ozark products. 20 tumblers, all 3 identical in built deminsions, finish. The logo being the only difference. Yeti claims US design China made $30. The Ozark (Walmart) is $8. the Rtic is on amazon for $20. I bought the Ozark brand and am happy with it . While in my favorite hangout,The Goodwill I got a Yeti one,unused for $3. I plan to do a comparison test to see if one is better,as soon as I locate my thermometer. If the Ozark brand is a pirate copy of a Yeti I'll be surprised. I think their all made in the same factory. Stay Tuned.....I use an old coleman metal cooler that is from my youth,some 55+ years ago.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
for the money, i'd rather have an ARB fridge/freezer. Pulling ice cream out on the side of the trail in July...

66WarPony

I think I'd rather have an ARB Locker...

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
If I may step away from the Cooler discussion to address a couple other Yeti,RTIC,Ozark products. 20 tumblers, all 3 identical in built deminsions, finish. The logo being the only difference. Yeti claims US design China made $30. The Ozark (Walmart) is $8. the Rtic is on amazon for $20. I bought the Ozark brand and am happy with it . While in my favorite hangout,The Goodwill I got a Yeti one,unused for $3. I plan to do a comparison test to see if one is better,as soon as I locate my thermometer. If the Ozark brand is a pirate copy of a Yeti I'll be surprised. I think their all made in the same factory. Stay Tuned.....I use an old coleman metal cooler that is from my youth,some 55+ years ago.

I have both the Yeti and the Rtic tumblers... I paid something like 30 for the Yetis and 14 for the Rtic. I really cant tell any difference in them other than the Rtic has a smaller bottom which fits in cup holders better. It also holds a couple of ozs more liquid than the Yeti.

Greg

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I'm still shocked the prices people will pay to get maybe 1, MAYBE 1 one day of ice out of cooler.
I bought a Engel Fridge freezer a few years back from their scratch and dent sale for $300.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
The ARB reefer in person just doesn't look like it belongs in a 40 yr old Bronco. More like an option that should be in the rear of a Range Rover, Land Cruiser or a Mercedes Benz Off Road Edition whatever it's called. Chilled champagne at the next stop on our adventure into the wilderness.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
well my test came out as expected they performed the same.Quite impressed with the results.
1.filled both with crushed ice and water,temp 32.3.,no lids .
2.at 12 hours they were both within a degree,34.6 ,put the lids on.
3. at 24 hours they were at 40.7
Drinking one now.... Next I'm going to do a hot test ,I'm sure they will cool faster than they warmed up,but we'll see if they perform the same.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Let that ARB refer bounce around in the back of your EB for one Rubicon trip and THEN it will look like it belongs!! :)

Last edited:

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Test pics,just cuz pics are cool. Well ,apparently the update on my phone wont resize the pics like it used to....Progress?

BR549

Loc.
huntsville
Mikee, I have the same Coleman cooler that you have and cant remember ever using it. How does it perform? I had thought about repainting it and using it some. Most every time I reach for a cooler it's the light weight igloo, not the heavy LIT cooler ( similar to the ones you guys are discussing)

my77rox

Not ready to bite the bullet on a high dollar cooler. I have one of the extreme smaller ones which works fine for day trips. Will of course have to look at something else when it's time for a multi-day trip like the Rubicon. I finally broke down and bought a Yeti cup because its been so damn hot I couldn't get to my drink before my ice was melted all last week. I would love to find for a US made stainless tumbler. There are just some products that are nearly impossible to find US made and those that are available, you really have to search to find them.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I laugh when I think about our Rubicon trips and after Day 2 and we are all running out of ice and start dedicating one cooler amongst us as the "meat cooler" that we wrap in clothes and only open 1x/day so we will have bacteria free meat on Day 3 or 4!!

We need someone along on the next trip with a Yeti, or an Ozark!!

I'd eat MRE's before spending enough money on a cooler that would pay for all my gas (one way) for another Rube trip!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Not ready to bite the bullet on a high dollar cooler. I have one of the extreme smaller ones which works fine for day trips. Will of course have to look at something else when it's time for a multi-day trip like the Rubicon. I finally broke down and bought a Yeti cup because its been so damn hot I couldn't get to my drink before my ice was melted all last week. I would love to find for a US made stainless tumbler. There are just some products that are nearly impossible to find US made and those that are available, you really have to search to find them.

Made in the US, Hobby Lobby may (or did) carry them:

http://www.artplates.com/travelmugs.html

http://www.madeinusablog.org/2013/01/01/travel-mugs-and-water-bottles-made-in-usa/comment-page-1/

http://www.taigacoolers.com/taiga-30-oz-tumbler/

farmerjohn

Well " I " was not going to buy an expensive cooler, but my Family gave me 300 dedicated $ to buy a cooler and I bought a Pelican and love it! I really think it was worth the money. I have been through lots of cheap coolers, w latches breaking , lids blowing off, ice melting in a few hours etc. and this Pelican solved all that. Locked down in the back of my truck, in Louisiana heat, keeps great ice for 3 days and cool for 5. Doesn't make economical sense but does make me smile!