• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rtic coolers

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I "thought" i saw somewhere that the Yeti is US made and the RTic is not?

True... Made in USA is great... I put that on everything we make in our plant and I am very proud to do that. I also do not buy import steel (that I know of) or any other imported materials unless there is no option.

In the case of Yeti vs Rtic I don't see it as having an option because they are not equal or even close to equal.
I am NOT going to pay $400. for a cooler. So that isn't an option... however... a cooler of very similar construction can be purchased for less than half that amount that is an option.

Rtic still employees americans... they have an office and support staff... they sponger a NASCAR team... they needed jobs too... :)

Before anyone gets started on the made in USA vs China thing... I can promise you that you have many Chinese parts on your Bronco even if you bought it from one of the Bronco shops.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
True... Made in USA is great... I put that on everything we make in our plant and I am very proud to do that. I also do not buy import steel (that I know of) or any other imported materials unless there is no option.

In the case of Yeti vs Rtic I don't see it as having an option because they are not equal or even close to equal.
I am NOT going to pay $400. for a cooler. So that isn't an option... however... a cooler of very similar construction can be purchased for less than half that amount that is an option.

Rtic still employees americans... they have an office and support staff... they sponger a NASCAR team... they needed jobs too... :)

Before anyone gets started on the made in USA vs China thing... I can promise you that you have many Chinese parts on your Bronco even if you bought it from one of the Bronco shops.

What you say is true as far as it goes.

If I have a choice between a company with USA sales staff selling foreign made products and a company with a USA sales staff selling made in the USA products then USA + USA wins.
Because they employ more Americans.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Wait a minute... Your too cheap but you buy Omaha Steaks? :cool:

Lol!! Christmas present from Aunt in Florida ;D;D;D
(And for the record they are not any better than the fresh meat you can get at your local grocery store meat counter)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!

WEAK argument here...I can't buy a USA made rear outer axle brg for my Bronco so if it's made in China that's my only option...

Since there are options out there where you can buy USA made coolers, built in the USA, employing USA citizens, paying USA taxes, and possibly earning enough money to purchase something that YOUR company makes thereby supporting YOUR employment...then BUY USA made parts... let's think this thru...

Didn't mean to come across too strong on this point but ...

Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
WEAK argument here...I can't buy a USA made rear outer axle brg for my Bronco so if it's made in China that's my only option...

Since there are options out there where you can buy USA made coolers, built in the USA, employing USA citizens, paying USA taxes, and possibly earning enough money to purchase something that YOUR company makes thereby supporting YOUR employment...then BUY USA made parts... let's think this thru...

/\/\ That! +1
And when people don't 'vote' with their dollars for American made (or against sending work outside) then that is all we can buy.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA

So I should pay double the price with your logic just because...

Ok... Was the computer you typed that on made in America ?

The TV you watch? Element is made in USA... You have one?

I simply wanted one of these so called super coolers without feeling like I got ripped off... I still think at half the price it is still over priced. Weak argument or not... My option was to spend half or not buy at all..

Greg

Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
So I should pay double the price with your logic just because...

Ok... Was the computer you typed that on made in America ?

The TV you watch? Element is made in USA... You have one?

I simply wanted one of these so called super coolers without feeling like I got ripped off... I still think at half the price it is still over priced. Weak argument or not... My option was to spend half or not buy at all..

Greg

The Cabela's cooler is less costly and performs better than a Yeti, and is made in the USA.

As one of several coolers made in the US do.

So again your argument is weak.

A smart buyer does research before buying.

It is not hard finding where things are made, if you bother to look.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Dell Computer...close as I could get

Element wasn't making televisions when I bought mine...

Like I said, I "edited" my response explaining that I "Didn't mean to come across too strong on this point but ... "

There are options out there most of the time, I just hear guys bashing China all the time, literally...then they go out and buy "Made in China" crap as a first choice when there are other options... personally I had no idea there were so many made in the USA coolers available.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
You assume I didn't research...

The cabelas will not fit my cooler rack on my Bronco. It was designed for a yeti but didn't want to pay that much. The cabelas and all the others are still way more expensive than the Rtic.

I get your point and in the spirit of what you are saying I agree. In practicality is is very hard to live by in today's economy.

nvrstuk

Contributor
This is why texting/internet/social media is the worst form of communicating... I didn't assume a thing, I didn't say you did anything wrong...just tried to make a general point and look where it went!

Totally agree with what you said here, "I get your point and in the spirit of what you are saying I agree. In practicality is is very hard to live by in today's economy."

Enjoy your cooler! Ice in mine lasts a day...maybe two!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You assume I didn't research...

The cabelas will not fit my cooler rack on my Bronco. It was designed for a yeti but didn't want to pay that much. The cabelas and all the others are still way more expensive than the Rtic.

I get your point and in the spirit of what you are saying I agree. In practicality is is very hard to live by in today's economy.

That is a point.

Lesson for me is buy/choose the cooler first, then get or build the rack to fit.

GSP9

Loc.
State College
I wanted one of the small 20 qt Yeti's and had one in my hand but just couldn't justify spending $250 on a six pack cooler. After that, was walking thru Sam's Club one day and saw a 20 qt Igloo for $99. Same basic design, grizzly bear proof, yada yada and bought it instead. Works pretty good and seems just as durable as a Yeti.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I wanted one of the small 20 qt Yeti's and had one in my hand but just couldn't justify spending $250 on a six pack cooler.

For that price it should come with free refills.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
Get on Walmart and look at the ozarktrail brand..... Just like a yeti cooler.....I have both and can't tell a diff. Only in price....way cheaper

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Get on Walmart and look at the ozarktrail brand..... Just like a yeti cooler.....I have both and can't tell a diff. Only in price....way cheaper

Which are the exact same coolers as the Gander Mountain Permachill coolers, which Gander Mountain carries spare parts for.
The only difference is the orange pieces on the Ozark Trail are black on the Permachill.

There is a 29 page (so far) thread on Expedition Portal about them.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Question for all of us...who in this crowd after 8 days would still have ANY beer left in the cooler!!?? What kind of a "real world" test is this???? :)

A well stocked cooler NEVER goes E!........"BEER RUN!"

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If it would keep beer cold for eight days, then it will keep it cold long enough for you to run out.

Don't most places that sell beer also sell ice?

66WarPony

You know, I think the general point is that we all have to do what's best for us individually... for some us it comes down to price, for some it an issue of practicality, and still others have different criteria. For me personally, I'll buy something expensive and take care of it; I prefer that it be made here, however I think that the "made in the USA" sticker on SOME products is used to squeeze as much money out of us as possible. The idea of being taken advantage of in that respect is very "un-American". I don't care if it's got some "proprietary" material, if it's not priced fairly, then I take my business elsewhere.

The debate about where products are made is irrelevant, purely because we buy so many products from China and their mega factories that we don't even know about, especially food: which is why bag corporations don't want labels on food products to show where they are produced.

In the end, it's your money: spend it however you see fit. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather have that extra tank of gas to drive my Bronco with my family in it, than know that my Diet Coke will be cold for a week.

Present: '69 4.1L I6, Aussie 2V, Weber 38/38; Up next: CI Headers, Dual exhaust