• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Running hot in the cold.

TJGuidry

Loc.
Parks, Louisiana
Last night while waiting in a drive through. My mule got to approximately 210 degrees after about 10-15 minutes. At highway speeds it cooled off to about 180. It was about 50 degrees outside maybe cooler.<br> I'm ordering a steel fan and my thermostat is a 180. My timming is correct . I had it timed about 5 months ago and my radiator was cleaned out last summer '01. I'm also idleing at 700-800 RPM while in gear. <br> My question is if the steel fan doesn't work should I go with a new radiator, are should I look in another area.<br> I've got a 302/C4 and I do have a fan shroud. <br> Thanks for the help.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=TJGuidry link=board=5;threadid=12251;start=0#90786 date=1039707432]<br>Last night while waiting in a drive through. My mule got to approximately 210 degrees after about 10-15 minutes. At highway speeds it cooled off to about 180. It was about 50 degrees outside maybe cooler.<br> I'm ordering a steel fan and my thermostat is a 180. My timming is correct . I had it timed about 5 months ago and my radiator was cleaned out last summer '01. I'm also idleing at 700-800 RPM while in gear. <br> My question is if the steel fan doesn't work should I go with a new radiator, are should I look in another area.<br> I've got a 302/C4 and I do have a fan shroud. <br> Thanks for the help.<br>[/quote]<br><br>No, you don't necessarily need a new radiator. If it cools down while moving, you don't have a problem with cooling capacity (i.e radiator) you have a problem with airflow across the radiator. I would start with a new fan (mechanical), add an aux electric fan and then cut the inner fender wells, in that order. A mechanical fan ceases to be needed at speeds over 25-30 mph and the fact that it cools right back down while moving tells me that you need to force more air through the radiator at idle. I am dealing with the same issues as you right now with my 351W. It never gets really hot, but too hot for me idling for extended periods of time.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
Standing or barely moving in static air will always cause the engine to run a little hotter. Is the shroud intact? Do you have an auxillary electric fan?

OP
OP
T

TJGuidry

Loc.
Parks, Louisiana
When you say mechanical fan? Do you mean a fan clutch assembly or just a regular fan and not a flex fan?
Fan shroud is intack and no on the aux fan. Thanks.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
[quote author=TJGuidry link=board=5;threadid=12251;start=0#90791 date=1039708649]<br>When you say mechanical fan? Do you mean a fan clutch assembly or just a regular fan and not a flex fan?<br> Fan shroud is intack and no on the aux fan. Thanks.<br>[/quote]<br>The auxillary fan with thermostat has really helped me keep the engine cool in the city. I have heard that flex fans loose thier "flex after awhile and don't draw as much during idle as do the steel fans.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=TJGuidry link=board=5;threadid=12251;start=0#90791 date=1039708649]<br>When you say mechanical fan? Do you mean a fan clutch assembly or just a regular fan and not a flex fan?<br> Fan shroud is intack and no on the aux fan. Thanks.<br>[/quote]<br><br>When talking about a mechanical fan, I am talking about a belt driven engine fan. A clutch fan is good, but not as efficient as a fixed pitch mechanical fan. Plus, I don't know of anyone that has easily adapted a clutch fan to an EB. There are usually clearance issues between the radiator and fan. A flex fan is the next best after a fixed pitch, but like Waverous said, after time, the blades lose their ability to hold an aggressive pitch and can flatten out even at lower engine speeds. That is what they are designed to do at higher engine speeds. The drawbacks of a fixed pitch is that they are noisy and rob some horsies but they cool the best, IMO. I am going to go with a 12 or 14" aux fan (electric) mounted as a pusher with an automatic thermostat that turns it on and off at pre-determined temps. Then, I am going to plasma cut my inner fenders out to help with the airflow through the engine compartment. probably going to wait until next summer to do that though.

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
Wow my rig is the other way around, I can sit all day our be wheeling at slow speed and never get hot but she does heat up when driving on the freeway but as soon as I slow down the temp go's down, ?:?

tonto

Bronco Guru
I'd start with the simple things first, when was the last time you checked your radiator water level? is you radiator full or has it vented out? I find I have this running hot symptom after not checking my radiator water level for long periods of time.<br>And clutch fans work much more efficiently than a fixed blade type fan, like already stated a mech. flex/fixed blade fan becomes inefficient at about 30 MPH's, it can actually create some kind of low pressure effect on the backside of the radiator inhibiting air flow threw the radiator at over 30MPH's, a clutch fan will not spin faster than the most efficient RPM's allowing more air to flow from in front of the radiator at high speed.<br>And do you have a fan shroud? Not that it should matter at this time of year, temps across the county are pretty cool so what ever is the problem is going to be a much bigger problem when summer comes. Keep us posted, I find E.B. over heating problems very interesting. Good Luck, Francois. <br>

OP
OP
T

TJGuidry

Loc.
Parks, Louisiana
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I should get my fan in about 7-10 days. I hope this corrects my <br>problem. I do need to check my fluid in my radiator. I've got another question, but that is another post.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
I have also seen water pumps which had a little too much clearance between the impeller and body. too much clearance will allow the pump to cavitate at the lower rpms.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=12251;start=0#91079 date=1039789062]<br>I have also seen water pumps which had a little too much clearance between the impeller and body. too much clearance will allow the pump to cavitate at the lower rpms.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I am curious, how much is too much clearance? I wonder if the cheaply made aftermarket pumps have too much clearance? What is the alternative if you have a pump with too much clearance? Buy a high quality unit rather than the Autozone special?

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
You have additional heat added, while sitting, from slippage in the torque converter. If you put it in neutral while sitting, your rpm's will go a little higher for more air flow and you eliminate some of the heat load. This is only a "get by" and the rest of the advice above is good......

OP
OP
T

TJGuidry

Loc.
Parks, Louisiana
I guess after the fan i should get a water pump just to make sure. Where can I get a quality h2o pump with out damaging my wallet too much? I live next to a good size city so I have many stores to choose from.