• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Running too cool???

NoAZ68

Loc.
Northern AZ
Hello,

I have just replaced my 180 deg. thermostat with a 195 deg. unit and my temp does not get above 140deg. I have a 351w with BC's bi-directional h2o pump. Is it possible that this is stuck open? Could I have it in backwards? As far as I know it is inserted correctly. I was wondering if I have an air bubble or something, but I figure that would still cause it to read hotter. I am pretty sure the gauge is accurate, as it worked before and is brand new. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
140 is too cold for a motor to run at. IF you put the thermostat in backwards it would run on the hot side. It sounds like your thermostat isn't working assuming the guage is correct. You sure you aren't spinning the pump the wrong way? What I mean is the upper should be the pressure hose, if it is the suction hose, it will read a lot cooler and possibly not cool the cylinder walls enough.

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
I have a 190 thermostat and my guage reads only about 140 or 150 when its warmed up. I figure its just the guage is old and seen its better days. Everything runs fine though so I dont worry about it. If you find some error other than the guage let me know!!!

dksroland

Loc.
springfield, mo.
Check the thermostat first.
Even new ones can be notorious for
not working right.
If it is stuck open, or not closing all the way
it will cause this problem.
Been there.

OP
OP
N

NoAZ68

Loc.
Northern AZ
Thanks for the replies. I think the gauge is accurate, it is a brand new Auto-Meter. I am not sure which is the pressure side now that I think about it. It is an '85 351w, I pulled the front cover off of it, used BCB's bi-directional water pump and threw the pullies on it. I used this pump because it allowed me to use my old radiator(brand new) and I was the only thing different is that the outlet is on the passenger side (like a stock 289). It ran around 175 w/ a 180 degree thermo. in it. That is why I think it should heat up a little more. It IS (the pump) designed to be used in a serpentine set-up also, but I was assured that it would work in this situation, as BCB has never led me wrong. :)

72Sport

Bronco Guru
When the cook in the house isn't looking borrow a meat thermometer and drop it in the radiator when it is cold and see if it agrees with the gage while the engine warms up.

It has to be rather cool in N AZ. Maybe you are radiating enough heat through the surface of the engine, hoses etc that it has trouble warming up without a good load on it.

If you have never used the gage before the gage and the sending unit may not be matched properly. The heat range of the gage maybe different than the heat range of the sending unit.

100-240 gage and 60 to 240 sending unit???? Sometimes things are boxed wrong.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I got in a little trouble for this but it dose work go get the wifes (moms) meat thermometr and put into the rad and see what it reads it will put you in the ball park good luck.%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And I've found that though it can sometimes work fine, other times using teflon tape (or other sealer) to seal the threads of the sending unit can cause it to read incorrectly.

Paul

OP
OP
N

NoAZ68

Loc.
Northern AZ
Well, thanks for all the help, I figured it out.
It happened to be the thermostat housing and the thermostat would not seat correctly, letting water by-pass the thermostat. I went and got a new housing and Superstat at 195 deg, and she doesn't move now from about 193 degress. I have faith in the world again. :) :) :)