• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Running VIN for theft / VIN in use?

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Hi all.

I have access to a couple stripped frames but the owner/seller doesn’t have the titles. He’s been stripping / selling broncos for a very long time and isn’t sure if he ever had a title for either. (He’s parted out countless broncos over his career - mostly from junk yards.)

Is there any way to run the VINs to see if they’re in use anywhere? Also - any way to check to see ifve ever been reported as stolen?

If I buy one/both and apply for a bonded title, I don’t want to deal with headache either….

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I know up here in NH you can have the state verify the VIN. A licensed inspection shop, a local police officer or a state police officer can complete the form and your local town office runs the VIN through the system as part of the registration process. The issue is, what happens if it comes up stolen. Not that the guy necessarily stole it but he could have unknowingly received a stollen rig if he was known for parting them out.

jimmyk

Contributor
I can have that done but it’s only checked within my state, not nationally.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi all.

I have access to a couple stripped frames but the owner/seller doesn’t have the titles. He’s been stripping / selling broncos for a very long time and isn’t sure if he ever had a title for either. (He’s parted out countless broncos over his career - mostly from junk yards.)

Is there any way to run the VINs to see if they’re in use anywhere? Also - any way to check to see ifve ever been reported as stolen?

If I buy one/both and apply for a bonded title, I don’t want to deal with headache either….

Hey Jeff,

Call the local License and Theft office that does the VIN inspections when you bring in a vehicle from out of state. I’ve called them in advance to run a VIN prior to purchase. The office near me is only open from 8-10 am, Tues-Thurs.