• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rust proofing doors

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
I tore apart my '68's doors this weekend, in preparation to get them plastic blasted and then filled / painted. They have been reskinned, not the best job but passable, and look in not too bad of shape inside. There is bit of paint inside but flaking and some surface rust...

What sort of prep should I do in terms of rust proofing for the inside of the doors? Outside will get epoxy primer on bare metal, high build and then PPG collor / clear.

I was thinking of sanding as much of the old paint out of the interior, getting epoxy primer sprayed inside, then seam sealing inside along the lower lip to close up the low spots where moisture could sit... any other ideas?

I am going to see what felt / etc I can salvage of my 77 doors, who has the window / door stuff? Can't see it on JBG's site.

And reassemble the removeable frames with bolts as opposed to machine screws, nearly didn't get one out when removing the window frames, or are screws "factory"? I suppose antiseize would go a long ways too if screws are required.

Pics tonight. TIA.

Last edited:

Hauq

keep door rust out.

I find the best way to preserve the doors is to keep them in the basement with a dehumidifier. :cool: