• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RUST.

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
So I just called about this EB http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/7/0/30984870.htm<br><br>Mechanically sound, well taken care of, might be just what I'm looking for. EXCEPT... rust.<br><br>The passenger and drivers floor rusted out and they've been replaced with fiberglass. The current owner says he got the steel replacement floor but hasn't gotten around to putting it in yet.<br><br>The hood has "surface rust".<br><br>So I've heard that RUST IS THE #1 ENEMY. Does that mean that this EB is doomed? Meaning, that I should stay far far away from it? Is rust an irreversible condition that just spreads and will eventually consume the entire car and all the people in it (oh no!) or is it something that can be dealt with and stopped?<br><br>And do you think $6k is a fair price for a rust bucket? ;)<br><br>Maybe I can talk him down to 4 ::)

77bronko

Loc.
Norfolk MA
$6k is way to much for a rust bucket. For $6k it should be a solid running truck either untouched and a little warn or aftermarket fixes and relatively clean.<br><br>Places I wouldn't want rust ($$ to fix and/or PIA). I've found when these things are rusty the truck is probably pretty far gone<br><br>-frame rot - any holes , especially rear shock mounts and spring hangers<br>-upper side of rear quarter, where the lower quarter attaches to<br>-front bulk head/firewall<br>-tail gate<br>-front grill<br>-under body supports<br>-doors<br>-front door posts<br><br>fenders, q-panels, strikers, floors are all normal and not that hard to replace, the rest, unless you want a complete rebuild will start to eat you.<br><br>Good Luck<br>

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
I agree if its got rusted out floors $6 grand is way too much.<br>Rust can be stopped in most cases as long as its not too severe. Por15 is a good rust killer and preventitive.<br>If the rust is too severe you can usually replace the metal with new metal but its not for the firsttimer, can be a pain in the ass and lots of work and prepping and finish work. id keep looking, you should be able to find one in much better shape for 6 g's

luvmybronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ashland, Oh
Rust, and Broncos go together...The pic didn't look too bad...It all depends on your area...I live in Ohio, and there isn't alot of EB's...For 6K I could get a real nice one, but in some areas 6K would get a rust bucket. Try looking on the east coast, or southern states...The demand doesn't seem as high as the west coast...Even if you have to ship it, you might still get a nice Bronco for 6K even with shipping...The only problem, is finding an honest person to tell you everything thats truley wrong with it...

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
6,000 isnt too bad if the only real rust is in the floor pan by the passenger or drivers feet. for that price no other rust is acceptable other than very light surface rust where the paint wore thin. It is common to find a very rust free truck in CA-AR eccept the area in the foot well where Ford used a rubber floor mat and it trapped water under it and rusted it out. (stupid mat and stupid vent system) This is not the same type of rust as from salted roads where the body seams are rotting away and there is no way to get into a welded seam to stop it. so it must be cut out to be done right. Ive seen just bare bone rust free Bronco body tubs go for over $1500<br><br>In reading your other posts this is all new to you and if I were in your shoes take your time and spend a little more for a real good 76-77 with all the goodies, as stock as possible rather than someone elses put togethers unless you have a real good bronco nut with you the things some of us Bronco owners can do to a truck can make getting repair parts for a real pain if you dont know what someone has done to it. We all want you in a Bronco because we feel that there is not a better truck out there but dont just jump into the first truck that comes along, you may be sorry later. You do however have to be ready to jump onto a good one fast because of the demand. For Sale signs dont get dusty on a good Bronco. If you dont do the repairs yourself the most expensive repairs on a truck or car is rust repair. and it isnt done until everything has been cut out welded in and the whole truck is repainted. Rust free trucks are worth the extra money you pay for them 10 fold. If you are doing the work yourself a rusty truck is a cheap way into getting a Bronco in your drive way it just may never leave it though. Many rusty trucks are someone's back yard project that may just rust into oblivion before they ever get fixed. I know, I have one that was at a price too good to pass up.

67_super_sport

Loc.
Grapeview Washington
6k is what I paid for mine. It came from central western Nevada. It spent one year in Montana and then one in Western Washington before I baught it. It had no rust underneath accept a rusted out drivers floor pan, and the frame is still origional black not a spot of rust on the frame.<br><br>The only other rust it had was in the cowl and inner fenders. The cowl needed some extensive patching but the rust in the inner fenders needed a patch on each side about the size of a silver dollar.<br><br>THe rest of it was very sound all the seams were good, the tub, fenders quarters grill tail gait were as good as you could ask for not even any minor surface.<br><br>What did the cowl in was standing water from sitting outside in western washington and montana. The inner fenders were caused by packed on mudd and the floor pan was caused by wet carpet. <br><br>All in all if you look underneath and the frame is clean as well as the underside meaning no heavy surface rust it should be pretty sound. Also make sure the tail gate and quarter pannel seems dont have any cancer in them if thats the case you are gonna be screwed as there is most likely some bad stuff hidden other places.

MI-Bronco

In MI rust on these trucks is a fact of life. Not a pleasant one, but a fact. Yes, we have lost whole vehicles and their families to rust, so it must be stopped!! We try to get to it quickly, sand blast or grind, then feather putty and prime with good primer POR15 is the best, then paint.<br><br>Around here for 6K I would expect some rust. If the rust were in the seams, door posts, tailgate, frame then I would lower the price to 3-5K. Common places that are easy to fix are floorpans. You may want to pop off the fenders and check the inner panels as rust tries to hid there, and that is easy to fix if inner fender, problem is door post.<br><br>From previous posts I think you are a welder, so slapping new metal on should be easy for you. Paint may be another story, but if it's just floorpans, you can prime and rino line, or paint those and cover them.<br><br>Summary-don't let a little rust scare you, but know what you are getting. Comparison shop, but don't hesitate when you think it's a good price. :'( :'(

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
thanks for the advice, guys. i think you are right - i should hold out for a stock 76-77 without problems like rust. i've been drooling over this one http://www.outdoorplay.com/bronco.html but it sold. i'm keeping my eyes and ears out for just the right one. let me know if you have any leads!<br><br>looking for:<br>76-77<br>AT, PS, PB<br>V8 preferable<br>no rust problems<br><br>

desertrat302

Loc.
Tucson,Az
Hey Greasergrrl,keep an eye on the ads in traderonline,and pay attention to the ones in Phoenix.Theres usually a bunch of Broncos for sale in Phoenix,I got mine there,found it in the Trader.<br>I was lucky with mine,I researched the VIN and found out it was originally delivered to Phoenix in 1969,I'm pretty sure its always been an Arizona truck because its 95% rust free.<br>HTH,Good luck with your search,Rat

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
anything you get in calif is gonna be 2-3 times as much money than anywhere else. That rig here would prob be around $2-3k with that rust!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If it's at rocky roads there is a good chance you are paying way too much. I've been there and looked at his stuff.

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
re;77 at Rocky roads....One thing I noticed in the ad was that it stated.."missing some smog equip."....that could be a problem for you depending on the emissions testing in your area.<br><br>...Good luck in your quest! :)

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
after looking around a bit this one is sounding better depending on how much rust there is and how much i can talk this guy down. would this one be worth $4k http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/7/0/30984870.htm compared to this one http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/4/8/31174848.htm being worth $3k since it has mismatched ends and a rattle can job and no power brakes? sound fair?<br><br>good lord i'm just really impatient! i can't do this waiting thing very well. <br><br>and hey, does this board automatically turn my cursewords into non-cursewords? fuck!

mark74ranger

Loc.
Albuquerque N.M.
There is a setting that allows you to set your "ratings" for certain words, like it substitutes "thingy" for dick. It defaults to a G rating. Jon went with a new host service a couple of months ago and I haven't been able to figure out how to change it.