• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RyanITV's Build Thread - Prepping Drivetrain - 3/15

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
RyanITV's Build Thread - Back On Tires! - 4/12

I decided to start a new thread for the assembly of my 73 Bronco - the old one was a bit long and mostly just me finding more crap I needed to replace. :)

We stayed up late Friday night to paint the frame - POR15 followed by their chassis black. Here's a shot of it in the booth:

frame-painted.jpg

Sunday it was cured enough to come home - it took the GTR's spot in the garage till I can get a rolling chassis so I can move the old frame out. Ignore the mess - it's piled up parts and the old frame - LOL!

frame-home.jpg

My goal was to have the suspension done in a day. Doable - but - turns out that crazy trick mandrel bent frame isn't as perfect as it should have been.

The radius arm brackets are wrong - the opening for the bushings is almost 1/4" too large. I had a local machine shop machine steel spacers today to get it to the proper size: :mad:

radius-spacer.jpg

Got the bushings in only to discover I don't have the required washers or retainers - oops! They'll be here in a couple days. :cry:

The rear suspension is a no-go as well. The front leaf spring hangers only have a 9/16" opening. They need to be 5/8" - I've now burned up two bits (even using cutting oil) and am not even halfway done enlarging the openings. :mad:

front-leaf-mount.jpg

I overnighted in some BEEFY bits to tackle this - the shit at Lowe's and Home Depot is lucky to go through 1 of the 4 holes. So at this point I'm kinda stuck - don't really want to start mounting up drivetrain stuff till it's on its own feet. The goal is still to have a rolling chassis by this weekend, so we'll see!

some-suspension.jpg

Body is on track - we're about 2 weeks away from paint. Looks good - the Al's Liner kit turned out great.

int-lined-1.jpg

DSS says the 347 should ship tomorrow - fingers crossed! :cool:

Ryan

Last edited:

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Well it's good that you smoked the bits, that means it isint junk chineese. 1/16 aint bad for aftermarket conserding what spects they have to run off.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
that frame looks sharp. did it come with those rear shock mounts? if not, what's the story?

Deano

Bronco Guru
It's looking real good so far. Can't wait to see more!

mavereq

Bronco Guru
nice, i haven't seen them on a frame with no body on it. i like that design. are those radius arm brackets moved back?

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i wish i had started out with one of those frames. mine is sandblasted now but i still have a lot of work to do on it. i built a set of radius arms and welded on brackets for johnny joints in the hopes they'll flex better than the bushings. i need to update my thread a bit but here's the link:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156512

mavereq

Bronco Guru
and another quick question: which method did you use for applying the por-15?

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
Looks great. I am tearing my truck down again in two weeks to redo the frame. I por-15 and top coat with the chassis black too but it came out streaky from the paint brush. I've used Por before and it leveled itself out. I don't know what happened this time. Did you spray or brush on? If you sprayed what did you do to clean the gun after?

OP
OP
RyanITV

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
Looks great. I am tearing my truck down again in two weeks to redo the frame. I por-15 and top coat with the chassis black too but it came out streaky from the paint brush. I've used Por before and it leveled itself out. I don't know what happened this time. Did you spray or brush on? If you sprayed what did you do to clean the gun after?

Sprayed, cleaned with lacquer thinner immediately.

Ryan

Devin

Bronco Kineticist

Almost all of the single-part topcoats from POR are pretty thick and streak if you don't thin them down. I have had good luck with the topcoats if you thin them and also use a foam brush.

OP
OP
RyanITV

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
Finished the springs tonight and got the radius arms on. It's cool how so different vendors have unique parts that made my build go together quickly.

Case in point - the lower spring cups. I used the extreme set from Duff combined with the studs offered by BC Broncos - the setup is VERY solid and was easier to line up than the standard bolts.

springs-done-1.jpg

Didn't put the rear shocks on yet - I still need to drill through the frame to put a few extra bolts on each side for the shock mounts in case the welds break when I'm out playing.

springs-done-2.jpg

Tommorrow it's time to gets the BC EFI tank mounted, put the rear shock mount bolts in and start running fuel and brake lines while the caliper paint dries. Goal is to have it back on its tires this weekend. :cool:

Ryan

73bronco

You are moving along very quickly on this! It looks really great!! Looks like twins in there, only a sexier version for the one you are working on(not that the old looks bad at all!)!!

OP
OP
RyanITV

RyanITV

Loc.
Lewes, DE
After this weekend, the old frame is going to my warehouse till it finds a new home. I just need it to get measurements when drilling/tapping mounting holes on the new one. :)

Ryan